DG05: October 2012 Release Model

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's the resolution:
My firmware is the wrong version. I have 2.11 and the latest (what SHOULD HAVE BEEN shipped) is 2.14. Let's also clarify that Hollis won't pay for me to ship it to them, not a big deal. But Shearwater does do that thype of thing. Hopefully, the firmware correction will also be reflected in the DiveNav videos, because the screen utilities aren't the same as mine with 2.11. If you bought this computer, double check the firmware version.

I will update this post once I get it back in my hands and test it back in the water. Look back here towards the end of December. It's either going to be a rant or a rave.

My update will be this January 6th- only if there is no ice in the local dive spot...

Unfortunately, my DG05 is now dead. It won't hold a charge and resets. I am returning it. I was able to set my three gases a few days ago but it will not even power on long enough to sustain a usage charge. I am at a loss for appropriate words at this point.

Hey- I was looking at buying this computer over the Xeon. After reading your posts and others on this site, I am convinced that this computer is not the best choice. Is it safe to dive? If I bought it, how many time would it need to get send back to the manufacturer before it worked safely. It seems like everyone I have talked to says to stay clear of it. It's really a rebadged VRX and for the price- computer, cable, and transmitter- I could get a proven computer from one of the other manufactures.

Just really surprised that you didn't get better service or that Hollis didn't have a product recall. A buddy of mine had similar issues but could never get the software to sync and the tank pressure thing got annoying. Thanks for sharing your experience here. It was helpful in guiding my computer purchase.
-Nick S

Man I am sorry to hear you are having ongoing issues, it would really suck to dive with a computer you had no faith in. I am very surprised Hollis hasn't really jumped on this problem and found a correction. I really wanted the DG05 but in light of the issues I am reading about I guess I will go with the Liquivision Lynx.

Paul W

It's funny you mention the service thing. In my line of business (aerospace manufacturing), when we have a customer issue no matter how small, we're on top of it from the start. I guess I am missing the connection on why Hollis won't pay for shipping back on a returned product that was their fault to begin with. It would be fair to assume that Hollis has no interest in supporting this product let alone care for the safety of it's users. Can you imagine diving this computer and having a malfunction at 130 feet (assuming you didn't bring a back-up computer)? I know the CPSC has the ability to go after manufacturers for negligent behavior and product liability. I just hope for the safety of those out there diving this computer that Hollis mans-up to the responsibility to resolving the issue before someone gets hurt.

No DG05 for me.

I bought a DG05 based on the reputation of VR Technology and Hollis. Knock on wood, mine seems to work thus far, even after a firmware update (the LDS sent it back to Hollis without my incurring shipping charges - great LDS). The only thing I can say is that it's a good thing I still have my trusty Aeris Elite T3.

I bought a DG05 based on the reputation of VR Technology and Hollis. Knock on wood, mine seems to work thus far, even after a firmware update (the LDS sent it back to Hollis without my incurring shipping charges - great LDS). The only thing I can say is that it's a good thing I still have my trusty Aeris Elite T3.
The end to my story was that my LDS held a teleconference to share my support emails and the video of the recent issue (battery not holding a charge). Hollis refused to concede that this issue warranted more of their attention. Imagine that! No recall, no email out to users, etc. Maybe I did get a bum unit. But I know someone else who had the same exact issues.

I got hooked up with a Shearwater Petrel. I have to say- within 10 minutes I had my pin updated, system set-up, and the manual was very easy to follow. No need for DiveNav videos. Good Luck and make sure you have your will updated if you plan to dive the Hollis DG05. It will fail on you- you can count on that.

The end to my story was that my LDS held a teleconference to share my support emails and the video of the recent issue (battery not holding a charge). Hollis refused to concede that this issue warranted more of their attention. Imagine that! No recall, no email out to users, etc. Maybe I did get a bum unit. But I know someone else who had the same exact issues.

WOW, that is just not how I would expect Hollis to respond but there it is.... I will go with the Liquivision.

Great. So now I have a $1400 paperweight. At least I can reuse the pressure transmitter if I were to get another Aeris/Oceanic computer that is compatible with the pressure transmitter.

---------- Post added January 15th, 2013 at 09:22 AM ----------

Frankly I am disappointed that I don't hear squat from Hollis representative joining into this thread and let us know what's going on. If this is the attitude from Hollis to their customers with equipment issue then I can definitely chalk the company up as not on my list of recommendations to friends and family.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom