DFW airport questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We live in the Dallas area, so I can't speak to transferring from plane to plane, but all international flights are out of terminal 'D', you will most likely be coming into another terminal on a domestic flight.

Getting around DFW isn't a big problem, there are both shuttle and tram options for moving from terminal to terminal. I would think if you give yourself 3 hours, that should be plenty of time.

We have never had a big issue with TSA or customs, usually going through security & customs is pretty straight forward.

Coming home, it just depends on how many other flights have arrived at the same time you have as to how long you have to wait in line to go through customs. This past May it took us well over an hour to get through customs because 2 or 3 other flights arrived the same time we did. It was at least an hour and a half before we cleared everything with our luggage.

They were letting people with connections go through a special line to make their flights, so those folks were getting through much faster.

We just returned Aug 10th from CZM. Once we landed in IAH it took us 50 minutes to go through Immigrations, customs, re-check our bags and TSA re-screening.

I'm going to look into FlyFrountier out of Denver. It's seasonal, but looks like I can leave PHX at 9am and arrive in CZM the same day if we leave before mid AUG.

Why the airlines have changed their schedules for AUG and SEP is beyond me!!

Why the airlines have changed their schedules for AUG and SEP is beyond me!!
With kiddos back in school and summer season over, less demand = less flights. :pilot:

And we're deeper into hurricane season.

Getting around DFW isn't a big problem, there are both shuttle and tram options for moving from terminal to terminal. I would think if you give yourself 3 hours, that should be plenty of time.

Thanks for the great information. Does using the tram/shuttle keep you inside TSA security so you don't have to get rechecked ?

Coming home, it just depends on how many other flights have arrived at the same time you have as to how long you have to wait in line to go through customs. This past May it took us well over an hour to get through customs because 2 or 3 other flights arrived the same time we did..

That's about the same for IAH. I've never seen it "not crowded" but I have seen it massively overflowing.

They were letting people with connections go through a special line to make their flights, so those folks were getting through much faster.

This is unusual (but good). I've watched the TSA agents at IAH treat people like dirt as they begged to get through the line because they were going to miss their connection. They made them wait at the rear of the line even when people were telling the TSA they didn't mind if they went ahead. I know some people would try to take advantage but these were a couple women that you could tell were on the verge of tears. TSA could have cared less. I've never seen any type of special line at IAH TSA checkpoint (at least not the big one after you pass through I & C).

Thanks for the great information. Does using the tram/shuttle keep you inside TSA security so you don't have to get rechecked ?

The Skylink train does keep you inside the secured area, it's really nice BTW, huge improvement over the old tram. Depending on you arrival gate (which from PHX could be either terminal A or C) it usually takes 5-10 mins to get to D terminal, an additional 5 if you just missed the train.

If you can handle IAH's C&I you will be happy with DFWs!

Does anyone know if DFW has the GOES program (should) and/or the TSA PreCheck (IAH didn't as of the last time I went through) ?

GOES is the abbreviation for the application website (Global Online Enrollment System) for Global Entry and some other trusted traveler programs. It is not the name of the trusted traveler program people here are talking about. That's "Global Entry". While this may sound like a trivial detail, signage never refers to GOES (since that's just a website). Signs will direct people to Global Entry kiosks.

DFW does have Global Entry, and I've gone through the entire arrivals process there in about 20 minutes. The last time I went through, I couldn't find a Pre-Check, but they seem to be adding them rapidly. It would certainly help for the obnoxious step of re-entering the security zone after arrivals, which took me twice as long as Immigration and Customs.

GOES is the abbreviation for the application website (Global Online Enrollment System) for Global Entry and some other trusted traveler programs. It is not the name of the trusted traveler program people here are talking about. That's "Global Entry". While this may sound like a trivial detail, signage never refers to GOES (since that's just a website). Signs will direct people to Global Entry kiosks.

You are correct. I've had Global Entry for a couple years, including the credit card sized ID card which they didn't offer back when I got my approval. I had to purchase it separate but understand that now it comes with the package which was $100.00 when I signed up (plus and extra $15.00 for the card) but I've heard that it is now more expensive (but not sure).

DFW does have Global Entry, and I've gone through the entire arrivals process there in about 20 minutes. The last time I went through, I couldn't find a Pre-Check, but they seem to be adding them rapidly. It would certainly help for the obnoxious step of re-entering the security zone after arrivals, which took me twice as long as Immigration and Customs.

The TSA (re)check point at IAH is terrible. They have it shoved into a corner upstairs and it is always overflowing with people trying to get to their connections. I think it is one of the worst I've ever had to go through because of the way it is set up (and IMHO.. it is a total joke as far as security is concerned).

---------- Post added August 12th, 2013 at 02:29 PM ----------

Thanks Don. I looked at the one that was posted at the beginning of the thread but will check out the others that you posted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom