DFW airport questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

azscubadude

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
All through the years I have traveled through IAH to get to dive locations but since moving to PHX I am finding it difficult to get to CZM without 5am flights which involve a pre-flight night in PHX (I live over 100 miles away from PHX) or because Arizona doesn't change their clocks (half year on Mtn time and other half on Pacific time) a layover at IAH because I can't get from PHX to IAH in time for the connection, (miss it by about 30 minutes).

I started looking at American Airlines and they seem to be offering some pretty good connections from PHX to DFW to CZM. The flight are later in the morning so I wouldn't have to do a pre-flight night in PHX. It would put me in CZM later in the day (like 4 pm) but that is fine.

So.. Question. I know IAH like the back of my hand but haven't been to DFW in many many years. In general, how is the airport to maneuver (costumes, TSA, connections, etc). I always allow 3 hours for the connection time at IAH on the way home and have plenty of time but the connection time at DFW to PHX is around 2 hours. Sometimes at IAH that could be pushing it pretty tight mostly because of the huge lines at the TSA security checkpoint after you go through customs.

Does anyone know if DFW has the GOES program (should) and/or the TSA PreCheck (IAH didn't as of the last time I went through) ?

Any comments would be welcome. Thanks !!

We have been through American Airlines - Dallas customs several times in the past few years and think it works better than Houston. ON way down to Cozumel, you need an hour layover to get to the International terminal and get boarded, but on way back we allow around 2 hours (1 hour for customs and baggage crap, then 1 hour to find food and get to terminal to depart).

Houston always seems to be a nightmare coming back into the country. Last trip it took us a full hour of standing in lines and we were panicked because we only had a 90 minute layover, just to find our flight had been delayed 4 hours... This is the second time it has happened to us there.... sitting in airport waiting for a plane for hours and hours and hours.

We are thinking about getting the Express Pass... $100pp and good for 4 years, so we can bypass all the customs lines. Houston in particular makes my BP go up.

We are thinking about getting the Express Pass... $100pp and good for 4 years, so we can bypass all the customs lines. Houston in particular makes my BP go up.

Thanks Robin. When you say "Express Pass" do you mean the GOES program for customs. I've had it for several years and it is great. IAH immigration is a cake walk using GOES but the TSA hadn't put their PreCheck plan service at IAH (for United) so the TSA could hold you up for at least an hour depending on how many international flights landed at the same time.

I had the same thing happen at IAH.. 1-1/2 hour layover, held up at TSA because every line was overflowing, had to change terminals for Continental connection, was running at full tilt to make the flight, got to the gate and found the gate had moved to the other side of the terminal, off again running.. got there as they were closing the door but did get on. That is why I would rather have a longer connection time and sit on my butt rather than running from one end of the airport to the other.

On my last trip through IAH, it was a miracle that I made my connection after being delayed two hours leaving Cozumel. Fortunately lots of other flights were delayed and they held the plane for a while. But that would affect trips through IAH, DFW, or wherever. Stuff happens.

What kind of costume do you wear traveling through the airport? I think it would be fun to dress in traditional middle-eastern garb and see if I'm treated differently.

Thanks Robin. When you say "Express Pass" do you mean the GOES program for customs. I've had it for several years and it is great. IAH immigration is a cake walk using GOES but the TSA hadn't put their PreCheck plan service at IAH (for United) so the TSA could hold you up for at least an hour depending on how many international flights landed at the same time.

I had the same thing happen at IAH.. 1-1/2 hour layover, held up at TSA because every line was overflowing, had to change terminals for Continental connection, was running at full tilt to make the flight, got to the gate and found the gate had moved to the other side of the terminal, off again running.. got there as they were closing the door but did get on. That is why I would rather have a longer connection time and sit on my butt rather than running from one end of the airport to the other.

Yes, the GOES program.
We watched a few people walk right up to that booth when at IAH this past June, and they were done in 30 seconds. We stood there in line for 45 minutes. Ron already has a TS for his current job, and I used to have one, so we have no reason to think we wouldn't get one pretty easily.

DFW does have the GOES and TSA precheck at least in the AA terminals. I have always found the C & I process in Dallas to be one of the faster Ports of Entry. You will likely arrive in C or A terminal, then go to the D terminal (international flights) just the reverse on the way home. Keep in mind the PreCheck is not for international flights, but you'll already be in the airport so won't have to go through security unless you leave or over night outside DFW.

DFW has Skylink, the fastest way to change terminals. As you come out of your arrival gate look for the sign to the Skylink escalator. Best bars & restaurants are in the D terminal's Food Court. Check out DFWs web site for get the overview:
dfwairport.com - Home

Tip for all travelers: add your GEOS number (passport too) to your FF account, I'll then print right on your boarding pass speeding up the whole security process.

Not sure about AA but I just came back from France on US Airways and the customs process was very quick (US Citizen).

List of airport with GOES (may not have the most recent ones) is on the ol' Wikipedia. I didn't feel like digging deep for it on the government page. They don't seem to advertise this program a lot. If they do, I don't know where...:

Global Entry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

List of airport with GOES (may not have the most recent ones) is on the ol' Wikipedia. I didn't feel like digging deep for it on the government page. They don't seem to advertise this program a lot. If they do, I don't know where...:

Global Entry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

PLEASE stop telling people about Global Entry. Next thing you know someone else might be using the GE terminal on my flight! That would slow me down a tad.

You know we were using Dulles alot and I got us GE. Then we fell in love with Airtran non-stop from BWI to CUN. I asked the Customs guy if he thought they would get GE. He laughed at me and said BWI was too small. Well guess who has it now: BWI. Winning.....

PLEASE stop telling people about Global Entry. Next thing you know someone else might be using the GE terminal on my flight!

I don't think you have to worry. At IAH they just keep adding more kiosks.

I've never gone through IAH that half the kiosks weren't totally empty, no waits or line at any of them but the huge snake line for immigration is usually overflowing with non-GOES people. I'm always through immigration and standing at the carousel before the bags show up.

Last time I went through IAH they started printing your photo on the white slip it prints out. The Customs and Immigration guard was chatting up 3 good looking flight attendants and took my white slip and told me to go on. Never having seen the new slip with photo I figured it was a new procedure. When I got my luggage and proceeded to the final check (where you hand the guard your white slip), I didn't have one. I told him what happened and he took me in an office right next to his station, told another guard to look me up on the computer. He punched in a couple key strokes, told the guard I was cleared at the kiosk and off I went. It slowed me down by about 30 seconds. I rechecked my bags at the next stop and was on my way upstairs to TSA.

---------- Post added August 10th, 2013 at 02:52 PM ----------

DFW does have the GOES and TSA precheck at least in the AA terminals.

Thanks, great information and downloads off the DWF website !!

Back
Top Bottom