Devil's Sink?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crazy Fingers

Contributor
Reaction score
Ned DeLoach has a dive site in his book called "Devil's Sink" in the Central Florida Area. He says it's a sink with 75 foot bluffs which drop down to water level. The sink widens into a large room just beneath the surface and has depths of 80 feet.

Supposedly the road to get there is bad? It sounds awesome.... anyone know any more info?

Hi Crazy Fingers. There's a sink in Williston, FL called Devil's Den. That's half way between Ocala and Gainesville, not far off I-75. I was there last year.... max depth is less than 60ft. It's a big bowl of water with an awesome "earthen/rock dome" over it. There's an opening at the top (about 75ft up) where vines drape in. When the weather is cold, the water vapor comes out the top like steam... hence the name. Nice people there too. The road off the highway is not paved but it was in good condition when I was there. The part that had me worried was down the steps of the entry area! (it can be a li'l tricky:D)

Across the highway,a couple miles down, you'll find Blue Grotto. This is sink with 100ft depth. Peace Rock about 50-60ft. Air bell is about 35ft. There's a dive briefing video you have to watch if it's your first time there. (it's considered an advanced dive but I'm not certain if they require AOW cert.) Admittedly, I've not always heard good things about the operators........ make your own judgement on that. My experience was not bad but I can't say they were all that friendly.

I consider both to be a "must do at least once" dive. Covered picnic tables make for a nice day out. Could do both sites on a short weekend- (I think there's camping and cabins at DD.) The info I have is: 352-528-3344 www.devilsden.com Sorry, no info on BG but I can get it if you'd like to PM me.

Pick and post a date. I'll bet there's at least one or two SBers that'll go too!

Crazy Fingers:
Ned DeLoach has a dive site in his book called "Devil's Sink" in the Central Florida Area. He says it's a sink with 75 foot bluffs which drop down to water level. The sink widens into a large room just beneath the surface and has depths of 80 feet.

Supposedly the road to get there is bad? It sounds awesome.... anyone know any more info?

Info on Devils Sink (not Devils Den) can be found here:

http://www.tampadiving.com/sections/diving/cave_systems/system.asp?ID=22

HTH,
Dave

SuPrBuGmAn:
Sounds like a beaut! LOL
Gross! Sounds more like Devil's Stink! I can't believe it's a dive site! <gag!yak!>

Devil's Den in Williston is a nice place for an afternoon of diving. There's a lot of interesting rock formations and fossils. IIRC, there's a swim-through. A handful of catfish. As long as no one kicks up the silt on the bottom, the water is clear. Although, it's a chilly 72 degrees.... year round. I can only stand about 35-40 minutes. It's enough time to get a good look around. If you plan to do more than one... get warm between dives or the second dive will be much shorter!

I agree, Devils Den is alot of fun with a very unique environment.

SuPrBuGmAn:
I agree, Devils Den is alot of fun with a very unique environment.

You might also note that Blue Grotto is "right across the street".

Dave

No he's not talking about Devil's Den, Devil's Sink is a totally different spot. I've always called it Devil's hole but whats the difference. I know where this place is, we go there in the summer, it has a awesome rope swing and high dive. It is in the middle of the woods near Keystone Heights and it is really off the beaten path. I can't tell you how to get there, as I do not know the name of the roads but I do know how to get there if I'm driving. I've never wanted to dive it as the old rickety ladder probably can't support a diver. The water is murky, and I'm sure it's just used as a garbage dump. It's a real white trash hang out so there's litter all over the place. If it was ever bought up by someone who cared, it could be turned into an awesome dive spot but until then I'm staying away from it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom