Devil's Den Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fox-Cousteau

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A group gathered at Devil's Den on 10/06/07 to dive and develop friendships.

General Discussion:
Devil's Den is poorly named. :no nothing devilish about it. In fact I feel sorry for those who don't dive because they only see 1/2 the beauty. The park is clean and offers well kept pavilions for surface interval. The stairs down to the entry platform is a slight workout. The most intimating part for me was entering the cavern, having to squat with a 130 cft on my back worrying about the valve hitting the ceiling. :eyebrow:

In the water:
Water was beautiful and inviting from the surface. The room looked smaller in real life than the photos I've seen. Even with a dive group from USF in the water (about 20 divers) the dive was not crowded. The area has so much uw room that my dive buddies and myself seldom saw more than 2 or 3 other divers.
The water was a bit silty but we still had about 20 ft viz.
On the second dive there seemed to be more divers in the water and at one point one of my dive buddies got confused and attached himself to two other divers for about 3 min. :dork2:

There was some fish in the spring, but not many. I was impressed at the size of those I did see, namely 2 large catfish, a nice size bass, and a rather large perch. there were quite a few baby fish and smaller perch that are easy to miss if one is not looking closely.
Lots of stuff to swim over, around, and under. definitely gives a person the same type of experience as a night dive and I believe a good place to practice/ learn night diving skills.

Recommendations:
I strongly encourage those who haven't visited the den to experience it I am thinking about returning soon with my son. make sure you have at least one good dive light and one spare. The Den sometimes gets crowded so a chem light or reflective tape on a tank can keep you from getting your dive buddy confused with another diver(s), esp if you have an all black wet suit that looks like everyone else's.:confused:

Epilogue :14: check back for linked pics from the dive.

Dove the Den last weekend. Met Tami the owner and her hubby. Great people! I particularly didn't like the dive though. The entance and exit with the climb is hard. The visability was very poor, the students basically ruined that for us. However, the park is clean, the atmospher friendly. Across the street at Blue Grotto, is differant, The water doesn't get as stirred up and clears easily but the Owners are more standoffish than helpful like Tami. Now if The owners of Devils Den could take over Blue Grotto, That would be a perfect spring dive for me! Lastly, Maybe Devils Den should close off the dives on the weekends from students so we can enjoy it or just make the students wait until after 2 or 3 pm to do their dives. Thats an idea.

I agree with your point about the operators/owners, although I did find the BG guy friendly once he warmed up to me. When I was at the grotto, several dive classes had silted it up so badly viz was about 15 ft. and there was so little to see that, while it is worth the dive (everyone needs to be able to say they dove the blue), I'm not going to make it a regular event on my dive calendar.
The best thing I can say about BG, "it is very safe and a great place to check out and get familiar with new gear. The uw diving bell where divers can actually talk without surfacing is a benefit. and the platforms provide points to stop and adjust equipment or practice uw survival skills. Everyone needs a site like BG or DD to do these things yearly (or more often). My personal preference is the den, but then again what do I know, I like to eat crayfish (pronounced "craw-fish")too

Lastly, Maybe Devils Den should close off the dives on the weekends from students so we can enjoy it or just make the students wait until after 2 or 3 pm to do their dives. Thats an idea.
Wow, that doesn't read very nice... and not very practical for the students, instructors, or site owners.

Besides, IF we're going to exclude divers I propose that a minimum of Cavern Cert is more appropriate...
(that's both a mean, 'how do you like it', reply and a honest opinion of the site's hazards)

If you want pristine conditions, just get there when the site opens and be the first one in the water. These students didn't splash in until about 10:30, so the 'early birds' had 2.5 hours before the students.

Dove Blue Grotto...it was also a zoo of divers...with ocean being so blown out, all the classes are migrating to the springs!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom