Destin Jetties dive report 5/13/06

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaYoda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After working on my flooded strobe for an hour and a half (just got the power light on but no flash yet), I headed to the jetties to meet kchFLA. The sky and water were a beautiful shade of blue. Photohikedive and buddy had sinus conditions so they could not make the dive. They did come by to take some surface pictures at the end of our first dive. Just before we did the first dive I heard someone call my name - it was NUTTZ. He was teaching a class so he didn't get to play today. The viz was down a little from yesterday - I'd give it 30' with the same haze that has been there over the last few dives. The June grass has increased in amount and it is floating a little more too. The temperature is still 75 degrees. On the first dive we made it out to the anchor seeing the ever increasing number of crabs. There were quite a few searobins out today along with the usual fish population. We turned the dive and headed back. Somewhere I hit a hole and got 57' on my computer - a new record :D. I had a little more air in my tank so I stayed behind for a few minutes. I saw "Munch", the spadefish without a tail, while I used up my tank. He seems to be happy and has picked up three friends. PHD and anonymous buddy watched our gear as we went back to our cars to switch tanks. We hit the water again and made it past the second anchor and played on the flat area out there for a while. On the way back I saw the black outcropping again. I tried to get a piece of that stuff to bring up but it crumbled in my fingers - I didn't want that all over me so I'll collect a sample some other day. We got back near the first anchor and kch was getting a little low on air (she's got a 63 not an 80) so I deployed the pony to save her air for the end of the trip. The deployment worked great and we got back to the North side of the jetty and she switched back to her reg. I packed up the pony as if nothing ever happened and we ended the dive. After lugging ourselves across the sand, kch went to lunch with PHD and buddy and I went to ScubaTech for fills and back home for gear cleaning. It was a good day to dive! Thanks for coming along kch.

Here are some pics - the last two are kch's first squeezes of the trigger, soon she'll be addicted :D.

Ok I need to work on my photography skills. I'm not very good on dry land so I've got my work cut out for me. The only thing that would make the jetties better is to have an easier way to get from parking to water. Whomever comes up with an idea, I will represent you in the patent process and review contracts to produce.

If there is anyone out there needing to earn a few coins, whenever you see that I'm doing a jettie dive show up and offer to carry my gear. I think a group of teenage boys thought I was serious when I said that. If I had some coins or paper I think I might have had one carry the tank.

Being new to diving, I might still have the :newbie: perception but this stuff is absolutely great. I'm still taking in the big picture, so I'm missing subtle and little things. I can only see this adventure getting better over time.

You did great today including the pictures. You just need a bigger tank so I can have some of your air if I need it :D.

Wow... I can see from the pic that the June grass has really moved in since yesterday. It was still bad at the Crystal Pier pilings yesterday evening.

Knight1989 and I were talking about the spadefish w/o a tail from my pics on Friday. I didn't know he was infamous enough to have a name (Munch) but I see that it's "rather fitting" for him.

sadly I couldn't make it today... :-(

So did PHD and the "buddy really have sinus problems, or was the buddy just still cold from the water? heh :)

SeaYoda:
Here are some pics - the last two are kch's first squeezes of the trigger, soon she'll be addicted :D.
Thanks for the post and the picts.

kchFLA:
Being new to diving, ... I can only see this adventure getting better over time.
By jove, I think you've gawt it! :)

Willie

mike_s:
So did PHD and the "buddy really have sinus problems, or was the buddy just still cold from the water? heh :)

MDB (Mystery Dive Buddy) and I did have some sinus issues. Mine had mostly cleared, but I also thought that I was fine the day before, when I came up with the bloody nose. MDB had sinus headaches all day, so there was no way we were diving in that condition.

There will always be other dives. We enjoyed the sun, watched some dolphins from the top of the jetty, and then later saw a small gator in a drainage ditch near the land I own in Freeport.

There were a few things to see at the surface. The first is an abstract of a baitball done in macro at my feet, the rest are self explanatory.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom