Destin Jetties 3/13 or 3/27, YES 2005!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My goal is March 4, 5, 6 dive, dive, dive....I don't think I will miss a one. I will have to make my last one by 5:45pm March 6 as I am flying home the 7th at 5:45pm. But, I plan to be as wet and saturated as possible.

SeaYoda, did you day springs??BRRR...I am shooting for the warmer weather and water at the jetties.

We actually have our vacation planned to go to Bonaire the first week in June with a group from my dive shop. That will be the first diving post surgery for me and it sure seems a long way from March 21st. But, I have alot of reading, videos (some diving related) and my photos I can work with to enjoy during that time.

Who knows, my doctor might give me the ok to dive sooner, then I can make a trip to Destin. I do know I am coming down to south GA in mid April for a family reunion. Doubt I will be cleared to dive then though.

See ya soon!

SuPrBuGmAn:
Yeah, I've been eye'n the Gulf lately... Need to visit some of my local spots to see if they're uncovered - also need to visit some of the news spots(compliments of Ivan - state pier).

Matt. what are they doing with the Gulf State Park pier?

I know that it (or parts of it) were wiped out by Ivan.
Are they going to rebuild it?
how much was detroyed?

ya know, I didn't even think of it being a new dive site when I read it was damaged! (duh!).

-mike

Gary(Gary's Gulf Diver Dive Shop in Orange Beach) posted here at Scubaboard that he thinks they may be keeping the rubble in the water.

I passed by it today(working in the area) and they haven't touched it any yet, I honestly hope they leave it, or simply knock the rest into the water. Atleast half of the structure, including the ramp, is completely destroyed. Some of the pillars are still up, but most of the span sections are gone.

There really isn't a good place to park near it at the moment, the parking lot is under sand and/or broken up. You aren't supposed to park on the side of the road at that section of highway.

Its something I want to hit with the Zodiac as soon as the water clears up and calms down(4-5 seas breaking on the outside today - yowza! I'd break out the surfboard if it wasn't so choppy!).

I'm thinking I can make a Zodiac trip out of diving a tank at the pier, a tank at Whiskey Wreck, and then flying back to Perdido Bay to eat over at one of the water accessible eateries(Bear Point Marino, Tacky Jacks, Sportsmans Marina, LuLu's, ect). Should fill up several spring and summer days nicely!

Looks like damned near everyone is heading to St. Andrews Park for the 12th and 13th, including myself :D

Sooo.... 27th at Destin right? :D

I dove the Destin jetties one night last week (around 11:00 p.m.-- about an hour after high tide). The vis was good and there were about a million sand dollars lying about. I think we're back in business!

I've been keeping up on water temps via surf reports, temps are tipping into the low 60sF. The 27th is Easter, so its probably better to hit the jeddies on Saturday(26th) - high tide will hit around 10:45 in the AM.

SeaYoda and I hit the jeddies earlier in Feb and had a great time with decent vis :)

Sounds good to me. 3/12-13 PCB and 3/26 Destin. Eanxgirl will we see you down here?

Do you Conchdivers have any idea how lucky you are? Even a little idea?

sigh,
Foo

darcy:
Sounds good to me. 3/12-13 PCB and 3/26 Destin. Eanxgirl will we see you down here?

PCB looks unlikely (my Cub Scout is flying up or whatever it is that the boys do to advance), but I'm hopeful for Destin on the 26th. This time, however, I'll plan to hike in with a full-sized tank. For last week's night dive I was finishing out my 50% deco sling bottle--and I really finished it out. I still got about a half hour in--not bad considering it was just a 40 cf tank and I had already done one short dive off it in a posted quarry in Escambia County (snuck in by canoe up the bayou) a couple of days before (don't tell). Slowly ascending from 50 feet it got real hard to breathe at about 30 feet--a feeling I haven't experienced since training. By the time I surfaced I didn't have any air to pump up my BC. I had to start swimming before I could manually inflate it as the tide was quickly heading out of the bay. No worries though--it was all fun.

Foo:
Do you Conchdivers have any idea how lucky you are? Even a little idea?

There's still plenty of room in FL for more people :D I'm not native myself, just a neighbor who skips across the boarder every weekend to play - lol!

eanxgirl:
I had already done one short dive off it in a posted quarry in Escambia County (snuck in by canoe up the bayou) a couple of days before (don't tell).

Now theres an adventure :)

How'd your adv nitrox classes go?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom