Destin Jetties 3/13 or 3/27, YES 2005!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I didn't take a chance on Morrison today but instead scouted out a possible beach dive site for when the jetties are not at the right tide. There are some old pillings from a pier near Crystal Beach. I found a beach access and some parking today. Next time there is a good North wind in the morning, and I'm free, I plan to snorkle the site. I've heard it's not too deep but could be an interesting alternative when needed. I'll post what I find when I go.

Looking forward to you report SeaYoda. I believe jlayman has dived that site before, but I'm not positive, and I don't remember what he had to say about it if he was the person I thought dived it.

Morrison was flooded to hell today, you saved yourself the trip!

Maryanne at ScubaTech told Larry that Ivan had changed things a bit. It looked like just beyond the light colored water of the pier that it dropped off some. It might be some good shelter for critters. I was told that octopus used to hang out around the pier.

Cool :) I need more Octopii in my life, seriously(I've only seen one)!

Last time I was in Destin we stayed at the condo unit right on the old Crystal Beach pier pilings. Unfortually it was too rough to snorkle that week as the "red flag" was out because of rough waves (for Destin) and rip current. There were waves along the entire length of the pier. Too dangerous for snorkeling as having a wave knock you into a barnacle encrusted pier piling would cut you up to much.

There are only two parking places at the beach access there, FYI. To find it, look for the two Crystal Sands condo buildings. They have a green metal roof (I think) and are only 3 stories tall. The beach access is hard to see unless you slow down as it only has those two parking spaces and a "sidewalk" down to the pier pilings. I think there was a small gazebo type structure there also, but not 100% sure. While it is a public beach, they do enforce the "beach chairs are for condo guests only" rule. FYI.

Last may the "sandbar" was in pretty close, but I haven't been there after Ivan, so no telling what it looks like now.

Hope that helps some.

I was there for SBM's octopus sighting. The vis was so bad that day, I thought he was taking pictures of some rope at the wreck. Then he posts the picture and I see we were in the presence of an 8 armed friend. Damn. I missed the Sunfish on that trip too. I guess ADHD rears it's ugly head once more.

So no one is diving the Destin Jetties this weekend?

darcy:
So no one is diving the Destin Jetties this weekend?

That's my question too :) I haven't been in the water since last fall. Just got my gear back form services and need to check it out :)

I'm still planning on diving Saturday. I'm going to try to get a Jetty dive in tomorrow before work. High tide is about eightish. I'll post a report if I get to go.

OOPS - just checked the tides and High tide is 8:18 PM not AM. Looks like I'll have to wait again :crying: .

What time Saturday at the Destin Jetties? If not, I was thinking of going offshore with Splash if they are sending a boat out Saturday. Not sure how things will work out if these storms keep coming?

We dove PCB jetties last night. It was a good dive, 10-20' vis, lots of squid.

I may be able to hit Destin jetties on Friday morning before the festivities begin - not sure yet. If not then, I may hit a low tide next weekend or a late high... dunno.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom