Destin, FL this weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon:
Do you have an Instructor for these dives?

Yes. It's a skills update dive and it's my understanding that's a formal dive type / name for SSI instructors. I'm not familiar with that "type" dive anywhere under the NAUI umbrella, but according to SSI it's an actual sort of semi-refresher-class thing ... that the instructor actually has to sign off on as completing the skills update.

That doesn't mean a lot to me, but the gist of it is that these dives will be actual instructor led - and we'll review everything in compliance with the formalized SSI skills update procedures.

My fiance` is certified for Nitrox, Dry Suit, OW, AOW, and a couple others - I'm not 100% sure what she has, but I know those. I think she's only a dive or two shy of DM qualifications when she got into a car wreck and had to stop for a couple years. She was actually still in physical therapy for her back as of just a couple months ago and this will be her first dive since the accident.

Most of my course involved bouyancy control, (personal + lift issues vs. floating things off the bottom), in-water CPR, in-water orientation/navigation & search patterns, psychological impacts of human recovery, plus a good bit of lecture-time mixed in for good measure, etc. Standard stuff I guess.

Crowell:
Yes. It's a skills update dive and it's my understanding that's a formal dive type / name for SSI instructors. I'm not familiar with that "type" dive anywhere under the NAUI umbrella, but according to SSI it's an actual sort of semi-refresher-class thing ... that the instructor actually has to sign off on as completing the skills update.

That doesn't mean a lot to me, but the gist of it is that these dives will be actual instructor led - and we'll review everything in compliance with the formalized SSI skills update procedures.

My fiance` is certified for Nitrox, Dry Suit, OW, AOW, and a couple others - I'm not 100% sure what she has, but I know those. I think she's only a dive or two shy of DM qualifications when she got into a car wreck and had to stop for a couple years. She was actually still in physical therapy for her back as of just a couple months ago and this will be her first dive since the accident.

Sounds like she was well trained, just inexperienced before the wreck. I was wrong about the "vacation diver" thingie. Hope her back continues to heal well. She can wait until she's in the water to don and integrated BC, so you might ask the instructor about that, as well as removing the BC & tank in the water. Otherwise, it'll be too heavy for her back, me thinks. Don't forget to have the BC partially inflated before throwing it over or taking it off, and - if she has to use a weight belt, It needs to come off before the BC- every time! Divers have gotten that wrong, then paniced when they sank. :11: And a beach dive would be too much for her back, I think. Use boat dives, with the crew handling the equipment. Tip nicely.

Most of my course involved bouyancy control, (personal + lift issues vs. floating things off the bottom), in-water CPR, in-water orientation/navigation & search patterns, psychological impacts of human recovery, plus a good bit of lecture-time mixed in for good measure, etc. Standard stuff I guess.
No, beyond standard. You two sound well trained, just out of practice. The Instructor lead refresher course should get y'all ready, but multiple dives is where the real learning comes from.

Thanks for the replies and information Don. I spent most of the day at work yesterday reading the accidents and incidents forum and by the time I went home last night I was somewhat nervous.

And yes, we'll be going out on a boat. I believe the first dive is charted for 60 or so feet, depending on weather, hurricanes, and whatever other factors captains come up with for dive sites, and the second site is all up to the captain, but I'd imagine (and hope) it's less than the depth of the first site.

And I'm really not 100% sure how many total logged dives Sarah has as her accident was before I met her, and this will be the first time we dive together. I'll mention to her about just putting her BC on in the water though. We're just renting some gear from the dive shop that's doing the re-cert this weekend, but we've been pricing gear as well. The rentals are not weight-integrated, so that's one of our planned first priority purchases for her back. BC lifting the weights vs. BC lifting her and her hips/back then lifting the weights ...

She has several more dives than me and looks at it from a very recreational/enjoyment outlook, but I have a good deal more medical/first-responder training than her, so maybe we can compliment each other there somewhat. Sikorsky also sent us through the fire college up in Tuscaloosa, AL for additional aircraft crash/rescue training and we were on SCBA's there in 800-1000 degree burn-buildings in absolute pitch darkness with no lights and roughly instant-death if you panicked and didn't rely on your gear or keep a clear head, so mental preparation is a really big deal with me too.

Overall, I'm looking forward to it, and I'm still very cautious and methodical, but thanks for your feedback, advice, and tips in a couple areas. I feel better than I did yesterday after reading all those horror stories. I've never dove for enjoyment, it's always been business, and with somewhat grim undertones at that - even on scenario response "test" dives, so I'm having to adjust my outlook.

Well, if she has to use a weight belt, maybe she can sit down at the gate, then put on the blet, then the gear someone else has carried, then go in. Caution everyone, everyone, that she cannot be lifting her BC & tank & weights.

Back to the boat, with prior arrangements, remove the weights first and pass them up. Then remove fins, then the BC, tank, reg, with snorkel in her mouth. Then climb out.

And each of your carry 4 or more weight belt keepers in your dive bag. $1 each, but operators never have them as they get lost easily. Otherwise, the weights slip on the belt, especially on in water removal. You each have a Safety Sausage and Storm Whistle?

DandyDon:
You each have a Safety Sausage and Storm Whistle?

No sausages, but I'll go pick them up. I've also been looking into one or two of those EPIRBs as well.

Crowell:
No sausages, but I'll go pick them up. I've also been looking into one or two of those EPIRBs as well.
Sausages, Storm whistles, weight keepers - oftne overlooked but very good ideas, I think.

Sorry, but what's a EPIRB?

I think that's be a bit much, and besides - you'd have to trust the boat crew with it. Ha!

Learn to carry and deploy the sausage, and give the whistle a test blow. If you want more, get a Dive Alert air horn, but duck your ears in the water before you use it.

More? Cross buddy with another pair, who seem dependable. "If you'll make sure we're on the boat before it moves, I'll do the same for you, okay?"

Or, give a crew member half of a $20 bill on boarding. Promise him the other half only if you are well handled and safely returned. :D

In the Carribean, safethy rules are only suggestions, and accidents need to be prevented. I admire your determination; just don't get too hypenated. :shades:

I think you can actually dive with those EPIRBs... at least I believe you can. Just strap it on your BC next to your tank or somewhere relatively out of the way and you've got it in case you come up out of sight of everything...

It's not as big a deal on anchor dives or with a boat and crew, but depending on where you're going - it could really come in handy if you need one... but they are a little pricey.

And besides, can you imagine the helicopter crew calling back in to base "Still no sign of him sir, but we are tracking a 20' tiger shark down here transmitting a signal on the 406."

Quick report on Destin (non-diving). Since Frances was headed to my house last week, I loaded up the family and headed off to Destin last Thursday. Stayed on the beach at the Holiday Inn Holidome. If you have a family, GREAT place. Rooms are large and have both an outside and indoor pool. As for the beach.... FREAKING AWESOME!!!! I live on the Atlantic ocean and this was my first venture to the gulf side of the state. I love where I live, but the Destin area simply blows away the Atlantic coast line. I just keep thinking to myself how awesome it would be to go diving here. I almost went and rented some gear, but never got around to it. I just couldn't get over how clear the waters were.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom