Question Diving in Pensacola, FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jonah, since you live in SE Florida you probably have more info than I do, but here's my experience from several trips: while viz is usually better in SE Florida, it seems a lot of the boat dives these days there require AOW and either require Nitrox or is highly suggested (makes sense for the dive profiles) -- which the OP may not have as a new diver.

Also, though many/most dive ops have a DM in the water, the DMs tend to be a little more hands-off than the Caribbean dive ops and the diving is mostly drift diving, which some new divers may find challenging to stay with the DM. So, in my limited experience the diving in SE Florida (though good viz and overall very good diving) might be a little more challenging to new divers like the OP versus some easy in-shore dives in Pensacola, like the popular Joe Patti Barge.

But again, that's based on my limited experience -- would be happy to hear of other ideas for fairly easy, good viz boat dives in SE Florida.
Yes would for sure welcome advice for other parts of FL. How about Key Largo? Is it more similar to Caribbean diving?

Now that @Rilelen has given you a specific recommendation for a company that is willing to cater to new divers, I want to talk you out of doing these dives even less! But… If you are looking for alternatives, I absolutely love Pompano Beach Florida. There are dives from reefs and wreck debris at 30 feet all the way to as deep as you want to go. The ancient mariner and Okinawa are two shipwrecks that might be able to be done by open water divers: they’re in the 60 to 70‘ range. Skill wise you are likely OK, but liability/rules might be the issue.

Dive masters are usually not automatic in south Florida, but are easy to get. It costs a little bit more to have them, but at least then it’s a private experience: just your buddy team or whatever and the dive master.

Once again, the experience on board is usually not high touch. However, if that’s negotiated in advance you might be able to get that paired with hiring a dive master. Honestly, I’m going to use this as an opportunity to encourage you to become self reliant in that way if possible. It will certainly open a lot more doors. But if you’re not ready for that, I have a feeling you can work something out pretty easily.

ETA: Oh, and by the way: if you do go to Pompano, make sure you stop by Flanagan’s. Very good fish, the ribs are decent as well, and the drinks are inexpensive. Nothing fancy, but really solid. I never go to Pompano without hitting Flanagan’s at least a couple of times. :) and my wife reminded me of the other place we like to go: Las Vegas. It’s a Cuban restaurant. I think there’s more than one, but the one we go to is in Oakland, I think. In any case, incredible Cuban food. All Cuban food is good, and Las Vegas is better than average.

Another place that has plenty of options that would work very nicely for you is Key Largo Florida. A lot of people knock Rainbow Reef because they’re kind of micromanaging, but that might be exactly the experience you are looking for. Again, plenty of shallow reefs and debris to see. (shipwrecks in 30 feet of water aren’t usually allowed to stay that way: they’re usually dynamited… :) ) On a good, clear, sunny day, molasses reef is as beautiful as any spot you’re going to find in the United States. And you can stay anywhere from 10 to 30 feet there.

ETA: In Key Largo, if you want a more upscale fish experience, I recommend The Fish House. Again, very good fish, and a choice of fresh caught local fish. The crab stuffing is really good, as are the beans and rice.

So hopefully you’ll have plenty of options that can meet your needs, both above and under the water.
Thank you! And yes we Key Largo on our list as well. Thanks also for restaurant recommendations! Always need those! I agree we need to be more self reliant eventually it's definitely the goal. Long story short I had a panic attack whole dping our Open Water classes up here in MO. Without our DM in St. Lucia I would have given up. Got much better while there, but still need to work on my breathing and it's nice to have someone who I can look to at least for a few more dives.

Don't rule out West Palm Beach. You can find a dive op which goes to the Breakers reef area. Depth is around 60ft and they are easy dives. The dive ops in WPB (and Jupiter) do put a guide in the water at no charge and have weights on the boat. If you go south of WPB, then yes, the dive op culture shifts and you are expected to hire a guide, tow flag, and possibly bring your own weights.

Hopping on this with my 2 cents. Having rented gear from MBT in pensacola I would suggest looking at another shop. The gear my dive buddy and I got was beat to ****, tanks were underfilled, my bcd was auto inflating. We had a way better experience later at Bay Breeze dive shop.

I didn't get to do any boat dives while I was there but we dove the Ft. Pickens jetty which you might enjoy. Viz is not the Caribbean but there are plenty of weird and cool things to look at. It's easy to navigate and compared to some other shore dives I have done very easy to get in the water too.

Check the tides because the current can really pick up through that pass between the island and the mainland.

My experience has been that diving off the FL panhandle is great, but different than Caribbean locations. Dives are almost always on wrecks or artificial reefs, the depths are typically 60-70' for "inshore" trips, and visibility likely around 15-30'. You'll see lots of fish, but not much coral. You generally won't have to deal with strong current. Shore dives (usually along jetties) and deeper "offshore" dives are also typical of the area.

I suggest you call and speak with the dive shop(s) and be upfront about your experience level. Most shops want to encourage divers to become regular customers and will be quite helpful if you ask. If you don't speak up, folks will generally assume you're a confident, self-sufficient diver. So if you're not there yet, just let them know. Diving at your own pace is awesome - I like just hanging in one spot and seeing what comes by sometimes, rather than having to keep up with a group and a guide. It's a different style in the Gulf, but I find it just as enjoyable as diving I've done elsewhere in FL and the Caribbean.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom