Destin, FL this weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crowell

Reaction score
My fiance` and I are planning a couple dives this weekend in Destin, FL. There have been well over 100 shark sightings in the area and surrounding waters within the last couple days.

Any thoughts, tips, or ideas?

Crowell:
My fiance` and I are planning a couple dives this weekend in Destin, FL. There have been well over 100 shark sightings in the area and surrounding waters within the last couple days.

My wife and I went on a couple of dives through ScubaTech about a month ago. They were great! Emrald Coast Scuba is also a great shop. We didn't do their charter, but I've been to their shop. Good people. (Links Below) Also, don't miss the Jetty. It's a hike ,but it's worth it. Be sure to check the tides first.

http://www.scubatechnwfl.com/

http://www.divedestin.com/

I wouldn't worry too much about the sharks. They don't seem to bother.

We've had lots of sharks in Gulf Shores last week, and they threw red flags up at the beach because of it. Sunday the green flags were back up and they haven't been mentioning sharks on the news anymore...

I'm assuming the concentration has seperated and gone there own seperate ways. I was actually looking forward to diving off the beach in hopes of photographing some of the sharks but I couldn't talk any of my buds into joining me and I'm not keen on diving on my lonesome(especially with sharks :wink: ).

Crowell:

The shark sightings in the news were actually mostly all in the Gulf Shores area and were all chasing 'bait fish'. Not in the Destin Area.

I've only done shore diving in Destin so don't know about charters.

I've heard that Scuba Tech is a good shop to use but about all the message board "reviews" I read about them said they would cancel the boat trip because of "rough seas" if the waves/seas get any 'higher' than their normal low. Several other fellow divers have told me the same thing. Just FYI so you can know what to expect.

If the trip gets canceled, you can tag along on the "snorkle trip" which goes to the "Jetties" just inside the pass. They'll take divers. They always do the jettie dive at high tide when the water is clearest FYI. You can shore dive this site also but parking is limited so do it early in the morning before the
crowds get there. Again, high tide is also the best time for visibility and no current to fight. It's a good hard walk also from the parking area via the beach access point and across the sand. But it's still an area favorite. For more information on reviews on the Jetties, see http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/USA_/Florida_/Destin_Jetties/index.htm

As for above the water, Destin has added TONS of new stores, etc. There is a large outlet mall. make sure to ask where you can get one of the free coupon books before shopping. There is also a large "outdoor mall" area that is new with all "higher end" type shops. The cornerstone of it is a large Bass Pro Shop that's pretty nice. If nothing else, go in there and check out the large saltwater aquarium they have.

Lots of great resturants. My personal favorite is probalby Pampano Joes, right on the beach. Very good food. A-Jays Bar overlooking the Harbor is good for lunch. Food and service isn't all that great, but it's all outdoors and is nice and relaxing and a good place to eat a burger or shrimp po-boy and drink a beer while watching the boats go by.

If you want another good place for a shore dive, check out the pier pillings at the old Crystal Beach pier. It might be better for a snorkle though. There is a beach access with 2 or 3 parking spots. Look for the gazebo hut next to the parking spots. It's on the beach road on Crystal Beach between Crystal Sands East & Crystal Sands West condo units. For a pic of what the pier pillings look like, goto http://www.abbott-resorts.com/ and do a property name search for Crystal Sands East & West.

Anyway. Hope all the helps.

Email if you have other questions.

-mike

I went diving with my father and brother and a fellow scubaboarder this summer. I forget the name of the dive put it was great! One of my first dives in Destin and I enjoyed every minute of it! I also dove the Jetties. It was quite intrestinb ut there were quite a few other divers there at the same time. Hope you have a good trip!

Sharks are essentially a non-threat to divers. Five (5) shark related deaths in the world a year, on the average, and hardly ever a diver.

No driving to the site, falling coconuts, shaking a vending machine that stole your money, those are threats - as are newbie divers without Dive Masters.

You might complete your Dive Info, so we'll know what your experienced level is? :crafty:

DandyDon:
You might complete your Dive Info, so we'll know what your experienced level is? :crafty:

Where and how do I complete that? I'll look around and try to find it, because that's another thing I'm concerned about.

For the record, here's the rundown on myself personally, and things at present.

This weekend's dive will be a supervised skills update 2 dives in preparation for a cruise my fiance` and I are taking in November down to the Caribbean (Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, etc.) and we want to do some diving in the islands.

She's SSI and has several certs and a dozen or so dives, but hasn't dove in 2 years. I'm NAUI certified in an "odd" course, with a dozen or so dives, and I haven't dove in at least 4 since I changed jobs. I was certified at my old job at Sikorsky Aircraft for underwater crash salvage/rescue/recovery (which fortunately I never had to respond to an actual incident), but I've never been under the water when it wasn't "business only", and right by the tables and numbers, and do your job and get back out. I've only had one class, and only one card, but listening to my fiance` and seeing some of the folks here, I don't know what to make of it. The class I took was 10 weeks, 4 nights a week, and 3 hours a night. 2 pool nights and 2 classroom nights every week with our final dives in the gulf out from Panama City Beach, FL. I'm not sure if that's standard or not, because the course was tailored for our company and objectives. Then mostly we dove scenarios.

I'm not concerned with the pretty fishies and in fact - most of my ideas about enjoying nature involve assorted bar-be-que sauces and marinades.

With all that in mind, I really don't know where I fit into recreational diving. I'm not concerned about how deep I can go or maximizing my time on the bottom. The only thing I'm concerned with is getting back out of the water safely and minimizing my risks underwater. I'm a meticulous researcher and planner, but quite bluntly after reading through some of the accident reports forum threads yesterday, I'm fairly concerned. (But I am glad that we're taking a couple skills update dives this weekend though before going on the cruise for our honeymoon.)

That's a bit long for the original question, but maybe it does a better job than some quesionaire anyway. My primary goal right now is staying safe and doing all the preliminary research I can.

3hours, 4 nights a week, for 10 weeks is a hefty course. I'm not sure how much of that time was training for your specific job related task and how much had to do with introducing you and tuning your OW diving skills along with educating you with the rules we're limited by as humans...

I have a feeling you'll get a much better idea about whether or not you are ready during your skills update(which was an excellent idea). Express your concerns to your DM and make sure to hone the skills you feel you have un-mastered. The sharks won't be a problem, I haven't even been lucky enough to see them while diving in Destin the 6-8 dives I've done off ScubaTech's charter boat. Can't say I've ever seen them off the jeddies either(no suprise there) :wink:

I've been going to and diving Destin for the last 3 years in early March when I migrate out of my igloo to try and find warm sun and sand....okay, a bikini too....

As others have said, check out either ScubaTech on Emerald Coast. Both run good charters, are very safe and maintained, and know the area. If the big waves are rolling, they know some sites a little closer than may prevent you from getting cancelled..... Emerald Coast was in the beginnings of building a new shop/training centre that looks awesome....

If you do get blown out, Vortex and Morrison Springs are about an hours drive north, and either shop can give you directions.... its not the ocean, but it beats going shopping with the wife....

SS

Crowell:
Where and how do I complete that? I'll look around and try to find it, because that's another thing I'm concerned about.
Firstg, click User CP above, then click Edit Dive Info on the left side menu, then fill in the blanks.

For the record, here's the rundown on myself personally, and things at present.

This weekend's dive will be a supervised skills update 2 dives in preparation for a cruise my fiance` and I are taking in November down to the Caribbean (Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, etc.) and we want to do some diving in the islands.

She's SSI and has several certs and a dozen or so dives, but hasn't dove in 2 years. I'm NAUI certified in an "odd" course, with a dozen or so dives, and I haven't dove in at least 4 since I changed jobs. I was certified at my old job at Sikorsky Aircraft for underwater crash salvage/rescue/recovery (which fortunately I never had to respond to an actual incident), but I've never been under the water when it wasn't "business only", and right by the tables and numbers, and do your job and get back out. I've only had one class, and only one card, but listening to my fiance` and seeing some of the folks here, I don't know what to make of it. The class I took was 10 weeks, 4 nights a week, and 3 hours a night. 2 pool nights and 2 classroom nights every week with our final dives in the gulf out from Panama City Beach, FL. I'm not sure if that's standard or not, because the course was tailored for our company and objectives. Then mostly we dove scenarios.

I'm not concerned with the pretty fishies and in fact - most of my ideas about enjoying nature involve assorted bar-be-que sauces and marinades.

With all that in mind, I really don't know where I fit into recreational diving.
I'd say you are a couple of "former vacation divers," reapproaching the sport.

I'm not concerned about how deep I can go or maximizing my time on the bottom. The only thing I'm concerned with is getting back out of the water safely and minimizing my risks underwater.
Good priorty. Who is "supervising" these dives? I'd suggest your next 2 dives needs to be a refresher course with an Instructor.

I'm a meticulous researcher and planner, but quite bluntly after reading through some of the accident reports forum threads yesterday, I'm fairly concerned. (But I am glad that we're taking a couple skills update dives this weekend though before going on the cruise for our honeymoon.)

That's a bit long for the original question, but maybe it does a better job than some quesionaire anyway. My primary goal right now is staying safe and doing all the preliminary research I can.
Good goal. Do you have an Instructor for these dives?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom