description thoughts for new subforum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shugar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
disclaimer: nothing against kim at all - he's done an amazing job for us at it is - it's a wonder we all haven't been booted out months ago hehehehehe

now... this is what it says on the BP description line: "A place where the locals can discuss local issues and where Tagalog may be spoken."

you guys up to sprucing it up a bit? it's 130am now, i'm awake, no dive to think of when the sun comes up... ptth... but i'm not feeling too creative... the scripts i'm currently writing don't need creativity

but you guys might be able to come up w/ something a little.... oh i don't know... sexier?

Jag

I'm actually the one that came up with that description, so don't blame it on Kim. I admit that I gave this almost no thought and simply came up with something very quickly.

The plan was to get the new subforum up as quickly as possible and not delay its rollout.

I can easily change it, but keep in mind that this needs to be a very short description and since this is a model for future subforums with regional languages, it needs to be duplicatable. This means that the only thing that would change if the description were to be used in say a Spanish speaking forum is the name of the forum.

Because this discussion is something that needs to be followed by people who do not speak Tagalog, but who do speak English, I'm going to move this discussion out to the main PPD forum.

I'm interested in hearing what you all think.

Christian

shugar:
disclaimer: nothing against kim at all - he's done an amazing job for us at it is - it's a wonder we all haven't been booted out months ago hehehehehe

now... this is what it says on the BP description line: "A place where the locals can discuss local issues and where Tagalog may be spoken."

you guys up to sprucing it up a bit? it's 130am now, i'm awake, no dive to think of when the sun comes up... ptth... but i'm not feeling too creative... the scripts i'm currently writing don't need creativity

but you guys might be able to come up w/ something a little.... oh i don't know... sexier?

Jag
Right now I'm at a loss for words or ideas to start a new thread (let alone reply to the posts) in the sub-forum. There is that "shutted" feeling (BP forum) which I couldn't describe.

I am anxious to see how you deal with non-Romanized language charater sets (hangul, chinese, arabic, etc....) in the future. English is the language of choice for the business world. I know, 1.7 billion chinese folks think differently but.......

"A place where the locals can discuss local issues and where English may be spoken." :D

El Orans:
"A place where the locals can discuss local issues and where English may be spoken." :D

i second this motion

any thirds or fourths?

This is gonna get me in trouble but ---
I hate the title: "A place where locals can discuss local issues and where English may be spoken". What about the non-locals? What about the national issues? What if you are an only English speaking person?
It should be named: "A forum for tagalog (and the other 150 dialects) speaking pinoys to gather and chat about anything and everything."
I say this because that is what it is....call it what it is.

Babydamulag:
I hate the title:
It should be named: "A forum for tagalog (and the other 150 dialects) speaking pinoys to gather and chat about anything and everything."

but they would like a description that would be applicable to all the other sub-forums to be created. so it has to be a rather generalized description

"A forum for homegrown language; english may be permitted"

another poll?

hehehhehehe

Babydamulag:
I hate the title: "A place where locals can discuss local issues and where English may be spoken". What about the non-locals? What about the national issues? What if you are an only English speaking person?
Keep in mind that "the locals" on a global level is everyone in all of the Philippines, but you make a good point. It is for anyone who wants to have a conversation about anything in Tagalog or any of the other dialects. If it gets too messy with all of the other dialects that might lead to a new disscussion, but we'll cross that bridge if it's ever necessary. For now I'll assume it will be fine.

I know that El Orans was joking about that description. I'm sure we can come up with something that can then apply to any other regional forum by simply changing the name of the language, country, etc. Keep in mind that we want it to be very similar as we expand this around the world because it will then feel familiar to anyone looking around on ScubaBoard. Standards make it easier for people to browse.

Christian

paolov:
another poll?
You won't need a poll for this one. We're going to listen to everything you have to say and then ScubaBoard management is going to make a final decision, since it is something that will eventually affect the whole board.

Christian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom