Descending...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Correct descent as already mentioned is feet first, this allows you to control rate more easily and also release pressure in your ears more effectively.
In certain circumstances such as strong current it is advantageous to descend head 1st negatively buoyant and finning down. such circumstances are the exception rather than the rule and are useful to keep groups of divers together and stop you getting moved off the dive site in strong current conditions.

That's certainly one way to do a descent, but I don't know if there's only one correct way. I've done horizontal descents as well as head down descents. It really depends on the conditions and environment.

Don Burke:
Kevin,

The message you responded to said, "Being overweighted is just as bad as being underweighted, no matter where you dive. Can't trade one for the other."

While I don't agree with that exactly(I'll take five pounds overweighted over two pounds underweighted any day), I do see the point.

Each extra pound puts 27 cubic inches of gas in your BC. If you are trying to hold a ten foot stop, the pressure changes from pretty small depth excursions cause some pretty big volume changes and result in big changes in buoyancy.

You said: "Each extra pound puts 27 cubic inches of gas in your BC.". I'm not sure I understand what you mean? Do you mean that for each extra pound of weight you carry, you'll need 27 cubic inches of gas in your BC to hold a 15 foot safety stop? If so, how is that determined? Would you clarify this please ? Thank you

Hi Wkenny,

If you take a look at the last post in this thread you'll see it was almost 2 years ago.

Just in case you were looking for a reply? :wink:

Take care,

I was the last poster about 2 years ago. I can try to come up with a response, but it might take me a couple more years. :wink:

Warren_L:
I was the last poster about 2 years ago. I can try to come up with a response, but it might take me a couple more years. :wink:

Bad Canuck! BAD Canuck! :joke:

:lol2:

SubMariner:
Hi Wkenny,

If you take a look at the last post in this thread you'll see it was almost 2 years ago.

Just in case you were looking for a reply? :wink:

Take care,
Even though it's an old thread, the question is a reasonable one.

Seawater weighs 64 pounds per cubic feet. There are 12*12*12 = 1728 cubic inches in a cubic foot. 1728/64= 27 cubic inches is 1 pound of water.

An easy way to imagine it is that every extra pound of lead requires you to add air of about the same volume as a pint, or the common 1/2 liter water bottle.

I'm curious...what does it take to be part of the SB Staff. I'm not applying, just curious.

del_mo:
I'm curious...what does it take to be part of the SB Staff. I'm not applying, just curious.

I think it has to do with the ability to make relevant posts in threads! :eyebrow:

Charlie99:
Even though it's an old thread, the question is a reasonable one.

Seawater weighs 64 pounds per cubic feet. There are 12*12*12 = 1728 cubic inches in a cubic foot. 1728/64= 27 cubic inches is 1 pound of water.

An easy way to imagine it is that every extra pound of lead requires you to add air of about the same volume as a pint, or the common 1/2 liter water bottle.

That pretty well says it all, Wkenny. To hold your 15 foot safety stop (or to hold any depth for that matter) you need to be neutrally buoyant. And if you have more weight than you need (i.e. overweighted), that means your BC will need to hold 27 cubic inches of air for each additional pound.

Back
Top Bottom