Descending...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

warren_l once bubbled...
It was warm and shallow....

Actually, I was with Chris Red at the pool practising some skills. She's getting to be rather proficient!

Did you get out? Man is it cold out tonight. Brrr....!!

Nope. Sitting in on an open water academic class tonight.

Heading up tomorrow for 11 am to do 2 or 3 dives then into the pool at night for skill practice.

Have a Scuba review to do Thursday night. Should be fun. I never did do a PPB specialty so I sure hope I can still demo a hover for the student. ;-)

BTW for all you extra special divers who have taken the specialty course I still contend that it's a waste of money. Attached is the graph profile from my latest dive from my Suunto dive manager. As you will see my buoyancy is spot on! My double bladder bungied wing with 175 pounds of lift is in perfect harmony with my 100 pounds of non-ditchable weight. I have nothing to improve on as far as buoyancy is concerned so back off.

Your a funny guy!
But it did take you a while to respond.
Most likely a side effect of the dive.:D

Fred

Yeah, the hover was a difficult skill to get down to demonstration quality, although (not tooting my own horn here) I did manage to get a 5 the first try, LOL. Now the 15 minute water tread is another matter as I am like a lead weight with arms.

Seadiver5 once bubbled... I would need you to explain to me what is so bad about being overweighted by such a small amount.

Being underweighted has obvious possible consequences but a few lbs. overweighted (surface weight) has practically no real appreciable underwater weight and if properly trimmed the average person could never tell they had it on.

Kevin Parkhurst
Kevin,

The message you responded to said, "Being overweighted is just as bad as being underweighted, no matter where you dive. Can't trade one for the other."

While I don't agree with that exactly(I'll take five pounds overweighted over two pounds underweighted any day), I do see the point.

Each extra pound puts 27 cubic inches of gas in your BC. If you are trying to hold a ten foot stop, the pressure changes from pretty small depth excursions cause some pretty big volume changes and result in big changes in buoyancy.

Must be important then.
Knowing exactly how much weight you need or don't need
makes a world of differance.
Gee ain't that why I suggested taking the Peak Bouyancy Module.
But then again you guys think it's a good idea as long as it's for free.:)
Fred

Back
Top Bottom