Deploying your own SMB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeltaWardog

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I like to pick a new skill to learn on each dive trip. On my upcoming trip (leaving Thursday, w00t!) I'm thinking proper deployment of an SMB is a good one to practice, as I have only done it once before and not from any depth.

So, re: deploying your own SMB - is this allowed? Or do the ops prefer you leave that to their DM? I will definitely discuss it with my op when we arrive but just curious what others' experience with this is.

I really want to get some practice in on this as I'm planning a liveaboard trip after this trip and that skill could be a lot more useful in the open ocean than it may be in Cozumel!

I did my trimix checkout dives in Cozumel many moons ago. Part of the dive was to deploy your SMB properly. We had 6 SMB's as well as the DM's "official" SMB. The boat was able to find us anyway. Let your DM know that you will be shooting a bag, and maybe he'll even give you some pointers. After all, he does it every dive.

Be safe and have fun.

Just communicate with them that you want to do it, I have done it a number of times just for practice for an occasion I may actually need it. Pedro my DM gave me a few hints on successful deployment too.

Like Frank said, let them know that you want to practice this and I doubt most will have a problem with it. They may actually appreciate it if you are using an operation that doesn't require all the divers to surface together..

Several years ago on a trip to CZM right after I had just gotten my 1st SMB, I asked the DM if I could do the SMB for the dive & he said 'go right ahead'(saved him some work & gave me a little experience)....I 'did it' on a couple of the dives if I remember correctly...I'd definitely ask ahead of time & go for it..

Just communicate with them that you want to do it, I have done it a number of times just for practice for an occasion I may actually need it. Pedro my DM gave me a few hints on successful deployment too.

Like what? Not to inflate the bag with the spool still clipped to you? :p :mooner:

SMB deployment skills are over-rated..
All you really need is some bag bling.. :eyebrow:

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    357 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
It's a good skill to acquire, and not as easy as some would make it out to be -

fingers too far in the spool hole = ouch

reg out of mouth to inflate SMB then not purged = choke

bag shooting without spool unrolling or entangling arms or dangling console = SMB turns into lift bag lifting diver

not clipping off double ender properly before during or after deployment = bye bye double ender

dropping spool as SMB goes away = diver chasing spool toward the depths.

It takes a bit of practice to pull it off while maintaining your depth, safety and poise!

All this from personal experience BTW~

Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom