deploying lift bag or surface marker

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi bob,
I have no problem inflating it all the way on a single breath, so I guess my real problem is not inflating it fast enough... it is a small hole, so that when it starts pulling me up I still have plenty of air in my lungs, but I have to let go or be pulled up.
It sounds like I just need to practice alot more, and I will try being slightly negative and fin in a slightly head down position, I hadn't thought to try that.

Thanks

NWGratefulDiver:
Me ... I went the other way. I started out with a 6-foot semi-closed bag. Then I discovered that the smaller bags are a lot easier to deploy, and use those unless in a situation where a large bag is really called for (i.e. waves or chop, where a smaller bag would be difficult to see).

I've never had any difficulty inflating the smaller bag on a single breath ... but then, I've got lungs that could power a steam calliope ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Soggy:
The acceptable method is to use an open circuit bag and keep the cc bag for drysuit diving or surface inflation.

Ok, I think that I understand what you are saying Soggy. The reason for the open circuit being that it can be inflated by purging a reg under it? Will this method also work in a semi-closed bag?
Thanks

Jasonmh:
Ok, I think that I understand what you are saying Soggy. The reason for the open circuit being that it can be inflated by purging a reg under it? Will this method also work in a semi-closed bag?
Thanks
Yes ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Jasonmh:
Hi bob,
I have no problem inflating it all the way on a single breath, so I guess my real problem is not inflating it fast enough... it is a small hole, so that when it starts pulling me up I still have plenty of air in my lungs, but I have to let go or be pulled up.
It sounds like I just need to practice alot more, and I will try being slightly negative and fin in a slightly head down position, I hadn't thought to try that.

Thanks
If you're inflating the bag on a single breath, the gas exchange between your lungs and the bag will not affect your bouyancy. If you're taking a deep breath to inflate the bag with, the increase in volume can make you positive - hence the advice to get slightly negative before you blow.

And, yes, practice, practice, practice.

Since this thread is current and related I thought i would ask this. I had a 6' by 4" Sausage that needed to be orally inflated. I had two problems with it. First it didn't have a pressure relief valve and i was concerned about it bursting, and second i just didn't like the oral inflation part of the process. I saw the semi closed bags and thought that would be much better. I also had problems with it blowing over in the wind even when fully inflated on the surface. It would bend.

After much research on opinions about Width and Length issues, I opted for the Carter Personal Float in the 7' by 7.5" diameter (inflated) Semi-closed circuit bag with OPV and optional one-way oral inflate valve.

I just got it and have not practiced with it, but OH MY GOD, is it big! I am now thinking it may be too big. I read all this stuff about visibility of the smaller ones but this thing is a monster. It takes 8 big breaths to orally inflate it. my smaller one took 3. Even with inflation by my regulator or octo i am afraid it will take too long to inflate before it drags me up.

Does anyone have experience with this monster or one of equivelant size? Is it a problem to handle? How deep will I have to be to inflate this thing properly? It takes 1.2 Cubic Ft. per the manufaturer to fill this thing. Let me now your experiences.

Thanks,

LJ

I've got one. If the seas turn rough, or the boat is missing, there's no such thing as too big.

Since it's a 75 pound lift bag, it's unlikely that you'll be able to completely fill it up before having to let it fly. However, that's not really an issue, since as long as there's some weight on the line, it will stay vertical even if only partially inflated. If necessary you can finish inflating it on the surface for more visibility.

Also, once on the surface, it will stay vertical if you clip a few pounds of weights or equipment to the strap on the bottom.

Terry

ljINfla:
I just got it and have not practiced with it, but OH MY GOD, is it big! I am now thinking it may be too big. I read all this stuff about visibility of the smaller ones but this thing is a monster. It takes 8 big breaths to orally inflate it. my smaller one took 3. Even with inflation by my regulator or octo i am afraid it will take too long to inflate before it drags me up.

Does anyone have experience with this monster or one of equivelant size? Is it a problem to handle? How deep will I have to be to inflate this thing properly? It takes 1.2 Cubic Ft. per the manufaturer to fill this thing. Let me now your experiences.

Thanks,

LJ

[QUOTE= . . .So how do you inflate a marker at a shallow depth so that it will be full at the surface, but at the same time not put so much air in it that YOU go to the surface? . . .

Have your Buddy help stabilize & keep you steady at depth, from a horizontal position slightly above & behind you as you're inflating the SMB. Be sure to consciously release the bag out and away at armslength to avoid tangling yourself and/or your Buddy.

If you're actually shooting a bag in anger and not just for training, aren' t you typically going to be letting it off from more like 70 fsw rather than 20 fsw?

Typically yes . . .but if you anticipate ascending into deteriorating surface conditions like weather, currents, large swells or fog, you'd want your Boat Crew to have a good chance in spotting you for pick-up. In this instance you would want to shoot the bag shallow and as close to the Boat as possible (hopefully after first finding and ascending the mooring/anchor line from depth). . .

Kevrumbo:
Typically yes . . .but if you anticipate ascending into deteriorating surface conditions like weather, currents, large swells or fog, you'd want your Boat Crew to have a good chance in spotting you for pick-up. In this instance you would want to shoot the bag shallow and as close to the Boat as possible (hopefully after first finding and ascending the mooring/anchor line from depth). . .

I don't undersand something here. If you're already on the anchor line (and they can already see your bubbles), why would you need to shoot a bag? Now I understand situations where the boat is drifting with current and not anchored and the divers shoot a bag to indicate positions. I can understand shooting a bag in anger if you need a tank sent down. But shooting a bag when you're on the line seems odd to me. Am I missing something obvious here?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom