deploying lift bag or surface marker

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dbulmer:
Jonnythan, Soggy et al - do you guys have an orange/red SMB for a normal deployment and a yellow SMB for HELP convention in the States. Over here Jonnythan's SMB would be frowned upon because of the convention in the UK of yellow indicating an emergency ie drop tank. BTW it's an unwritten convention but is more often than not the norm here among techies (DIR and non-DIR I hasten to add)or do you have a team SOP?
This makes too much sense. Over here on a typical dive boat, you're going to see orange, red, yellow, fluorescent green, and yellow/red combo DSMB's all being used on the same dive.

Funny enough you can get those over here but you would run the risk of having several divers mug you for lack of colour coordination :)

Tom Winters:
This makes too much sense. Over here on a typical dive boat, you're going to see orange, red, yellow, fluorescent green, and yellow/red combo DSMB's all being used on the same dive.

I saw the yellow/red combo somewhere (Scubatoys?).

Still can't figure out how you point the side you want at the people you want to see it.

There's a big difference between "I'm here, come pick me up when you get a chance" and "I'm going to die, send down a tank"

Terry

Couple of quick thoughts. Most of the newer bag shooters I've seen tend to be a tiny bit positive when they start the bag shoot. When the fill the bag, it becomes slightly more positive then you were with the air in your lungs (Boyle's law, it is above you a little bit so the air is expanding). So I agree with making yourself a tad bit negative (just let a tiny bit of air out of your wing). right before you start. The other thing that I've told people that seems to help a LOT is to keep blowing tiny bubbles (like they tell you in OW class) after you inflate the bag until you release it, this will make you more and more negative. Most people take a BIG breath, fill the bag (but not with all their breath) then remove it, hold their breath and then start moving up in the water column. Once you go up a couple of feet it is pretty hard to recover while still holding the bag.

Perrone, sometimes you would shoot a bag while on the anchor line to communicate something to the boat; one bag means that the teams are together and doing their deco, tow bags on the same line means send a support diver. Stuff like that. If you have a deco obligation it can be the only way to communicate with the boat. You can even put notes on your bag before shooting it (send down a 70' bottle).

Mark

Yes,

I've seen the ones that let you put notes in. Makes a lot of sense. I guess what I am envisioning is a situation where I am simply trying to signal to the boat, "Hey, Im here and on deco and everything is cool", but them not understanding and sending the cavalry so to speak!

The idea of having a standard color for different meanings sounds good to me. Or perhaps shooting a sausage for sending a message or indicating deco, or shooting a lift bag for HELP! I've never done any of this so I don't know if the standards are dive team based, boat/captain based, etc. And I guess is should be talked about in pre-dive. Especially if you plan to shoot a deco bag at a specific run-time.

PerroneFord:
<SNIP>
dive team based, boat/captain based, etc. And I guess is should be talked about in pre-dive. Especially if you plan to shoot a deco bag at a specific run-time.

Well, we are still learning how to dive out here on the West Coast. I've seen it done a few ways, but am not entirely sure of the actualy DIR standards for boat diving and bag shoots. There seems to be a lot of disagreement about this, which was highlighted when a couple of local GUE instructors got lost off a boat and were rescued by the Coast Guard recently.

Mark

mweitz:
Well, we are still learning how to dive out here on the West Coast. I've seen it done a few ways, but am not entirely sure of the actualy DIR standards for boat diving and bag shoots. There seems to be a lot of disagreement about this, which was highlighted when a couple of local GUE instructors got lost off a boat and were rescued by the Coast Guard recently.

Mark

If you open a thread in another forum, we can discuss the insanity of waiting to shoot a bag from 70ft, but that's definitely not a discussion for the DIR area.

Well, since it is what I was taught by my GUE instructors (nevermind that they were lost at sea) and the training director of GUE (nevermind that he has since been let go) it is in fact a discussion for the DIR area. Hmmm, rereading my post, maybe it isn't :wink:

Mark

Soggy:
If you open a thread in another forum, we can discuss the insanity of waiting to shoot a bag from 70ft, but that's definitely not a discussion for the DIR area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soggy

Why not?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom