Deploying DSMB with a spool question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gh1304

New
Reaction score
I have been reading a lot about DIR and it seems to be a good system. One thing I have not been able to figure out yet though.

What is the best method of deploying a DSMB with a spool such as the Halcyon Defender. I am used to having a handle of some sort. Are the spools neutraly buoyant?

Thanks, Gisli.

It looks really nice the way the guy on the 5th D video holds the spool while it spins, but whenever I try to do that, I have problems. I find I do much better if I let go of the spool.

Doc_Sandy:
I've watched that video a zillion times and I still can't figure out for sure what he is doing - done too fast and the pics are too small.

Can you describe the process?

Please?

Sandy

Okay, I'll try.

He is holding the bag in one hand, and the spool in the other. He removes the clip and threads the line (which has a loop already tied into the end) thru the ring on the lift bag, and then puts the spool thru the loop to secure it to the bag.

He then take the clip and attaches it to his right d-ring. After that, he fills the bag with some air, and lets the bag go. He allows the spools to spin freely in his hand. When it stops, he takes off the clip, takes up the slack in the line, and secures the line to the spool with the clip.

As someone else said, a lot of people just let go of the spool and let it spin by itself. It will not sink until the bag hits the surface and stops moving.

Hope this helps.

detroit diver:
Okay, I'll try.

He is holding the bag in one hand, and the spool in the other. He removes the clip and threads the line (which has a loop already tied into the end) thru the ring on the lift bag, and then puts the spool thru the loop to secure it to the bag.

He then take the clip and attaches it to his right d-ring. After that, he fills the bag with some air, and lets the bag go. He allows the spools to spin freely in his hand. When it stops, he takes off the clip, takes up the slack in the line, and secures the line to the spool with the clip.

As someone else said, a lot of people just let go of the spool and let it spin by itself. It will not sink until the bag hits the surface and stops moving.

Hope this helps.

Detail question: What kind of knot is tied to form the loop? It seems that the loop must be made large enough to slip the spool through or the knot can slide allowing the loop to vary in size.

What is the normal length of line for a spool like this? 150" 200" 300" etc?

Hantzu

hantzu701:
It seems that the loop must be made large enough to slip the spool through

What is the normal length of line for a spool like this? 150" 200" 300" etc?
Correct.... the loop is large enough to slip the spool through. I have smaller loop tied at the end of my larger loop and that is what I clip the bolt snap through... it also helps with heavy drygloves in holding the loop and still opening the *big* loop.

I use a 100' or 150' spool to shoot a bag from 70'. If the bag wants to drift away I don't just hold it because that will put the line at an angle as well as drag me up. I jerk the bag down frequently to align it over me.

Be aware that if the idiot who wound the spool the last time (that'd be you, the user!) was less than careful a spool can be yanked up and out of reach VERY quickly by even a minor snag - this is the risk in letting it "spin" out of your hand.

It its a MAJOR snag and you're fingering it, you will have to let it go of course. But for a minor one, you'll lose the spool if you let it go and unwind outside of your control.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom