Deploying a DSMB in Cozumel...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can wind all you want, just use common sense. Give your wrist a little twist while you're winding...like any good calf roper would do :wink:
That won't do it. The reason it works with a calf rope is that the rope is resistant to twisting, so as you give it that twist it rotates the whole rope all the way to the end. The string that attaches a finger spool to an SMB is a lot more flexible; when you turn one end of it the other end does not turn, so all you would be doing is moving the twist up and down the string.

I still don't think it's a problem, though if twisting does accumulate all you have to do to straighten it is to unhook the string and unreel it behind the boat when it is moving.

be sure to take the time to practice the use of your spool and smb.
I agree. On most dive trips on the first or second dive, as we are ascending I move off to the side of the DM and deploy my own SMB.

When I go to Coz I take my 9' Orange SMB that I got from Piranha(the current model is 10'). It's huge, can be easily seen, and the open bottom allows for an easy burst of air from my 2nd Stage. I have small Delrin and SS spools with bright orange line. I've launched it from 50' but try to do it closer to 30'- depends on the dive. I'm always out of air first it seems so I do an awesome job of hailing the boat. lol.

I'm always with my wife, so I'm the designated buoy launcher. I plan to buy us PLB's but I need to do more research on them.

If you want to avoid a twist, clip one end of a double ender around the line with one hand and wind the spool with the other. The string will move freely in the clip loop and won't twist. (I don't worry too much about it as I use it often enough in Coz the twists tend to work themselves out.) Good luck. :)

As far a big vs. small DSMB, to each there own. I prefer a small marker for the southern sites where there are plenty of other boats and I'm just looking to signal for pickup not necessarily to be "found." For me it's just easier to deploy with a puff and stow away when used regularly. If headed to a northern site I get out the BIG marker for all the obvious reasons.

To be honest I'm not a big northern site fan. They are fun dives, but not why I go to Coz. I go elsewhere for that type of diving where it's more predominant and the infrastructure is more setup for it (not a dig at Coz; I luv Coz :); just IMHO). I prefer to dive "in the shoebox" of the places I go. I understand not everybody wants or feels that way. Just all IMHO, YMMV. Dive and let dive. :cheers:

Thank you all for the advice...

I've gathered...
-It's standard practice to deploy from 20'-40'... prior to my safety stop.
-A spool with 60' of line should be sufficient...

I agree with that.

My wife and I have only gotten separated once in Coz from the DM and remainder of the group and had to deploy an SMB. I don't know how we got separated from them, but one minute everyone was in one area looking around, and then my wife and I got bored and hung out in a spot sheltered from the current and looked at something in the sand, and a minute or so later when we turned around the group was gone. It was toward the end of the dive, so we decided to go with the current for another few minutes and if we didn't catch up to them we would shoot the SMB from our safety stop. So a few minutes later we slowly ascended to 20 feet and pulled out the SMB and spool, deployed the SMB, and drifted along for our safety stop. When we ascended the boat was right there. That's how it's supposed to work.

I am lazy so I deploy at depth, whatever the depth is when I am ready to ascend. Its just easier to shoot a 6 footer then. Plus you have a visual reference, the bottom, and I use winding the line (I use a reel) to gauge my ascent rate.

Where are people getting the nylon canisters? Asking for a friend :wink:
This is the one I've carried for a few years: CANISTER for PLB: SCUBA Diver Emergency Locator Beacon/VHF Marine Radio. | eBay The smaller one is big enough for any PLB and a foil blanket. I do wish he would change a couple of things on his listing and web pages.
  1. You do need to use silicone grease on the o-ring as needed. I add a little for each trip.
  2. You do need to replace the o-ring every year or two. I got mine from him as it was easier than shopping for the right size. Email at his web page: Diver Locator Satellite PLB Canister from HDVSEATEK.
  3. I don't know why he throws in the surface carry pouch, I carry mine in my dive bag or backpack, but it's not to used diving. I use a brass bolt snap & brass ring to attach it to my BC, like this one: Heavy-Duty Bolt snap Key Carrier,No 44801, LUCKY LINE PROD INC 85721448010 | eBay
There are others. If you don't want to read 600 posts, maybe ask at the current end of this thread: PLBs Can Save Your Life

be sure to take the time to practice the use of your spool and smb.
I've carried a sausage since my first dive trip, and it amazes me that divers go to sea without one. My home bud & I added spools & reels later. I shot mine from a practice dive in Santa Rosa NM from about 50-60 feet, so he thought he'd shoot his, but he lost control of his slack and got himself entangled a bit. I had to match his buoyancy during his confusion, keep my line taught and out of the way with one hand, and untangle him with the other. On debrief, we decide only one of us should deploy at a time. Then he got lazy and I had to ask him to take his turns shootig his on trips.

You might want to discuss your DMB use with your boat crew. A couple of trips back, I told the DM that I'd shoot my own since I am so bad on air, as I didn't want him bringing everyone else up when I needed to go. He failed to tell the skipper, so when I surfaced, the captain wasn't looking for my different model. There I was, floating in a busy area off of Villa Blanca, all of the boats avoiding me, including mine. Finally a glass bottom boat full of non-divers came to check on me, then insisted I board and let them take me to my boat. The non-divers got a kick out of that, but I was a little embarrassed.

I'm always with my wife, so I'm the designated buoy launcher. I plan to buy us PLB's but I need to do more research on them.
Not much to research with the new ACR2921 out, unless you want to spend $50 more on the other model with a screen - but the screen doesn't do much really except to appeal to geeks. ACR bought out the other company so they also carry the smaller PLB1 that fits in a shirt pocket for hikes, but I carry my ACR2881 in my backpack hiking or farming, in my console driving - inside a camera pouch I picked up to protect the antenna from accidentally opening.

Who prefers steel spools over plastic?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom