Deploying a DSMB in Cozumel...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's standard practice to deploy
Oh no, not generally. Only as needed. I'd rather go up on the DM's and let him mess with it. It's good to have one and be proficient when needed.

I'll also keep my 6' one in my back pack, swapping it out on the boat as needed, for use on some of the norther sites
I carry a PLB instead. But I carry one almost everywhere. If my boat can't find me with a 3' sausage, I am sure the satellite can.

I'll adjust my technique going forward... I was a winder, not a roller...
Yeah, mine got twisted. It's not that big of deal to work that out.

like any good calf roper would do
I've worked thousands of cattle, but never was a roper. :p

When extending and winding your line on a spool, be it on land or under water, don't wrap the line around your spool with your hand as that twists it, you want to unroll and roll it up by turning the spool just like a winch on a truck reels the line in. Don't wrap, Roll the spool. Those who quickly wrap end up with kinks over time and that turns into attaching large swivels between the line and the DSMB to try to deal with it but that is trying to fix a problem that (in my opinion) should never exist if you roll instead of wind.

What you are describing is called torsion, but I really don't see it as a problem. I wrap the line as I ascend and I have never had a problem with the line kinking. Every time I shoot the buoy the line is free to untwist if it's twisted enough for there to be an issue. But to each his own, I guess.

I've ever been pulled to the surface... when I was taught how to fill mine it was stressed to me...
Regular breath in (maintaining depth/ buoyancy)... fill DSMB as much as comfortably possible, release, and resume normal breathing. The air in you lungs (and the lift it provides) just gets swapped into your DSMB... once it's released it has no bearing on your buoyancy.
Just be sure to release it before you inhale.

Or get a finger spool with a handle and just reel it up. They are cheap.

I was almost looking for an excuse to buy a small reel... but I'll temper that desire and add a cheap mid-sized spool to my collection...

Oh no, not generally. Only as needed. I'd rather go up on the DM's and let him mess with it. It's good to have one and be proficient when needed.

I carry a PLB instead. But I carry one almost everywhere. If my boat can't find me with a 3' sausage, I am sure the satellite can.

Yeah, mine got twisted. It's not that big of deal to work that out.

I've worked thousands of cattle, but never was a roper. :p

Point one, yes, as needed, I'd only deploy when the situation dictates I do... I'd rather enjoy the last minutes of my dive, with my buddy, and have my DM wrangle the DSMB and its line...

I've also kicked around the idea of a PLB... I carry a Nautilus Lifeline, but I realize it's almost useless, especially compared to a PLB... I wish someone would make a diver specific package that didn't require a huge can to keep the PLB waterproof...

I've also kicked around the idea of a PLB... I carry a Nautilus Lifeline, but I realize it's almost useless, especially compared to a PLB... I wish someone would make a diver specific package that didn't require a huge can to keep the PLB waterproof...
We had a few hundred posts about PLBs on another forum, but a couple of points...
  1. ACR just came out with the new 2921 model which added infrared strobe and an additional satellite system. I'm happy with my 2881 and just got it back from 5½ year battery service, but the new one is impressive. It also means no big sale discounts but for an emergency tool that I carry 365 days a year for over 5 years, it's cheap enough.
  2. McMurdo quit making the expensive and heavy aluminum canister as everyone is going with lighter nylon for less.

1. McMurdo quit making the expensive and heavy aluminum canister as everyone is going with lighter nylon for less.

Where are people getting the nylon canisters? Asking for a friend :wink:

be sure to take the time to practice the use of your spool and smb. there are plenty of good videos online that show ideas on how to rig them, store them, and deploy them. it is not as easy as some make it look. it takes practice. i remember trying to figure out how to use mine when i first got one. what a mess. haha

DM's usually release their marker well before the end of the dive. remember, he has to signal to the boat on the surface that we are nearing the end of the dive. obviously this also tells the captain where we are.

in my opinion, no diver should be allowed on the boat without an smb. especially when drift diving in locations like coz where they get strong and unpredictable currents. i have seen way too many divers get separated from the group and they have no way to signal their support crew and other boats in the area where they are.

for diving in most warm water vacation areas a 50 foot spool is more than enough. what you choose to use for an smb is your choice. i have been using a 6 foot manually inflatable marker for about 15 years. is was cheap, light, and rolls up fairly small. there are others of course that allow for manual inflation, bc hose inflation, and reg inflation. the better ones also offer an over expansion valve as mentioned by some one earlier. various colours, sizes, and options are out there in a range of prices.

i tend to agree with an earlier post to release the marker at about 30 feet. i am usually with my wife. she will make contact with me and keep an eye on our depth while i release the smb. this way we dont separate if the currents are strong. from that depth one good breath should do it. then do your slow ascent to the stop, hang out for awhile, and do an even slower ascent to the surface while winding the line. dont worry about how you wind it while in the water. you should always unroll your spools and do them properly after you are on the surface.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom