dependent buddies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I kind of feel its better to have a few dives under your belt before going AOW, gives you a better feel for what you are learning, and allows you to hone in on areas that you are lacking in.

I agree too that theoretically your allowing an "unskilled" diver to do deep and wreck dives.
Theory and supervised dives are good, but there is no lesson like the real deal.

Patience and experience count for alot

Dave

The only reason that I have a problem with people going straight to AOW from OW is that the AOW card is used as a qualifier to more aggressive dives.

It is the same way up here in VA Beach and NC...if one is not honest in asking themselves if they are ready for a particular dive, one could use an AOW card as a passport to a potentially dangerous situation.

ps- come on, you know who the dive nazis are

I figured it out! It is Rick Murchison and his gang!

All the training in the world is nothing if you aren't out there gaining experience. I too am a new diver and searching for buddies. Each dive I do I feel more and more confident. I have found some excellent buddies on this board and interviewed them for their experience level, training level and their comfort diving with a novice. I have been so lucky to say I have MSYLVIA and Spectre as dive buddies. I hope you too will find good dive buddies that you can learn good habits from.

You flatter us.

Just make sure you find a buddy you're comfortable with, and as Shellbird pointed out, make sure you both know what the other's experience level is.

Also, make sure you're diving within your abilities. It's good to push the envelope slightly, so that you improve, but don't do anything or dive with anyone you aren't comfortable with.

etowndiver once bubbled...
As a new diver I'm a little confused about finding a good buddy. I know I don't know enough to be of any assistance during an emergency situation. Does that make me a dependent buddy. I only ask because I followed a link that I found on this site.

First of all, we were all new divers at least once, so look for the people that accept it, and then enjoy it.

Don't brag or inflate your experience to your buddy. Say no to diving outside of your limits of training and comfort. That alone makes you responsible. You know enough from OW to signal, observe your guages, and share your octo. That is enough to start . Accept that you are learning and life will go well.

Still the AOW and Rescue help a lot.

I have found the best teacher is experience. You have the basic skills that got you the OW certification, now is the time to build upon those skills with more dives. Get yourself a buddy (preferably an experienced diver) and do as much diving within your comfort level and limits and gain some experience.

Dive safe and have fun :)

Reeflover

As a new diver I do not believe anyone would expect you to go out and save someone.... But you do know the basics..... If you are diving and you buddy run's out of air, you can share air with them, if they get tangled you can cut them free, ect. No one should expect you to be a rescue diver. As long as you keep your head about you and dive smart you should only need one buddy.

And as far as OW to AOW goes.... I have seen more dangerous divers who think they are AOW, or TEC divers with 100+ dives under there belt. I went right from OW to AOW within a month, and I was and still am very cautious and aware of what I am doing and the others around me. If you are smart and aware and well trained... it doesn't matter how many dives you have logged as long as you are skilled to do the next level of training.

Rich:mean:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom