dependent buddies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

etowndiver

Reaction score
As a new diver I'm a little confused about finding a good buddy. I know I don't know enough to be of any assistance during an emergency situation. Does that make me a dependent buddy. I only ask because I followed a link that I found on this site.

http://scubadiving.com/training/instruction/8dangers/

Should I be diving in 3s or 4s to eliminate this safety hazard, or does 3s and 4s increase the hazard possibilities. Any input is greatly appreciated.

thanks,
joe

If you have a well-developed plan for diving 3's and 4's (i.e. I'm responsible for you, you are responsible for the other guy, he's responsible for me - with 4's dive as 2x buddy teams so there everyone is always crystal clear on who they are supposed to help in an emergency) then you shouldn't have any problems. Make sure that you mention to your diving buddies that you are not comfortable with emergency procedures (you need to work on these until you are comfortable btw) so that they can take additional safety precautions.

The max size of a buddy team should be 3. When you have 4, do two groups of 2. Even threes are a PITA to keep up with compared to teams of 2...we dive in threesomes sometimes and I much prefer 2 person buddy teams.

Keep diving in teams of 2 or 3 and when you feel up to it take a rescue class...that will help you with feeling more prepared to deal with problems in the water. I think everyone should be required to do at least OW, AOW, and Rescue.

O-ring once bubbled...
T I think everyone should be required to do at least OW, AOW, and Rescue.

I agree, if both divers don't have rescue training it's not a buddy team, they are diving solo.

I've logged 6 dives (4 of which were during open water cert). Do you recommend doing more open water dives to work on skills or jump into advaced and working on the OW and AOW skills at the same time. I only ask b/c I want to be the safest diver that I can be, both for my sake and the sake of my partner.

thanks again

As a newly certified diver, you learned and demonstrated some basic skills that will enable you to assist another diver in an emergency. Now find a buddy who will help you improve those skills through practice in controlled situations until you are comfortable with them. In the long run, that's probably more important and easier to accomplish that heading off on your first dream dive trip.

And don't pay too much attention to the dive Nazis. You have your learners permit and your liscense. More elective training is available if and when you decide you want it. You have completed the required training and it's time to get some experience.

I've logged 6 dives (4 of which were during open water cert). Do you recommend doing more open water dives to work on skills or jump into advaced and working on the OW and AOW skills at the same time. I only ask b/c I want to be the safest diver that I can be, both for my sake and the sake of my partner.

This one has been beat around a lot with mixed results. Pretty much everyone has an opinion...some go straight from OW to AOW (I don't see a problem with that...it is just more dives under the supervision of an instructor). There really aren't any other skills taught in AOW that aren't taught in OW (navigation is covered in OW), just the depth and night stuff thrown in. I'd say it is up to you...whatever you feel like doing and feel you are ready to take on.

And don't pay too much attention to the dive Nazis.

Who are the dive Nazis? I haven't met them yet..

O-ring once bubbled...

This one has been beat around a lot with mixed results. Pretty much everyone has an opinion...some go straight from OW to AOW (I don't see a problem with that...it is just more dives under the supervision of an instructor). There really aren't any other skills taught in AOW that aren't taught in OW (navigation is covered in OW), just the depth and night stuff thrown in. I'd say it is up to you...whatever you feel like doing and feel you are ready to take on.

Who are the dive Nazis? I haven't met them yet..

The only reason that I have a problem with people going straight to AOW from OW is that the AOW card is used as a qualifier to more aggressive dives. For example, in the Keys one must have AOW to do the Duane or other deeper wrecks (with most shops anyway) and a guy who has a grand total of 10 dives and an AOW card is in no way ready for those dives. A better qualifier would be AOW and 50 logged dives or something.

Personally feel that the AOW card is a joke by itself. The real learning comes in Rescue and from experience.

Tom

ps- come on, you know who the dive nazis are :)

WreckWriter once bubbled...
a guy who has a grand total of 10 dives and an AOW card is in no way ready for those dives. A better qualifier would be AOW and 50 logged dives or something.
SSI requires 4 specialties and 24 dives for AOW.
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom