Denver and Colorado diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well...I lived in Colorado near Denver for about ten years.

Yes there is diving in Colorado, Turquoise was mentioned and I have been there a number of times. Stay away from Dillon unless you want to be decapitated by a 'personal watercraft'. They like to slalom around your dive flag float.

The real issue is why you're going diving. If you want to practice skills the mountain lakes are fine. Vis can be pretty decent. In most of them, however, there is just not much to look at down there. If you're not working on something specific that occupies your attention, well...at least you're wet and blowing bubbles.

There are any number of good dive shops in the 'burbs around Denver, most of them do quite a bit of dive travel business because most of the diver's in Colorado go diving in other places:)

The mountain scenery around the lakes, however, cannot be beat. Enjoy yourself there.

Doc

Thanks Doc. I've got a trip lined up to Oz in October (combining that whole rugby & diving thing), and am thinking about a long weekend to Florida or Mexico this summer.

Just figured it'd be good to keep up on the buoyancy, etc instead of getting rusty and having to remember that the reg, not the snorkel, goes in the mouth when you want to do a descent.

Hello Fellow Divers,

With our drought condition in Colorado, diving is a bit dodgy here this season. Although if we keep getting these snow storms and it continues to look like Portland or Seattle for days at a time, we just might have some water!

A fellow diver was asking me about Aurora Reservoir in Aurora, CO. It is an interesting site for diving with at least a sunken plane to check out and can be fun at night. As with most diving here, it is definitely limited visibility.

It isn't open yet and might not be depending on their water-level decision. Here is what they had to say...

"Good question! This is from a .pdf on the City of Aurora rec site.

"If you intend to use the swim beach or scuba area,
PLEASE WAIT TO PURCHASE YOUR
ANNUAL PASS FOR AURORA RESERVOIR.
Due to the drought/water shortage, it is unlikely that the
swim beach will be available for the 2003 season. We are
unsure whether a safe & accessible scuba area will also be
available."

So I don't know! I would love to put together a comprehensive website with a list of all areas open for scuba in Colorado (or at least the greater metro area) but the time to do so has eluded me thus far...

I e-mailed the staff at Aurora Res to find out what the deal is..

I'll keep you posted!

Jeff

Here is the reply from Ranger Rick on diving at the Aurora Res...
" Good morning, The scuba buoys have already been placed for the scuba season, so you can dive at your convenience. The water is approximately 20 feet low from full pool. If you dove with us last year the water level is approximately the same level as it was at the end of the scuba season. For night dives a one weeks notice is required, night dives only take place on Saturday nights from June 7th through September 27th, and there is a $50.00 fee. This system allows a person performing a night dive to be in the park a maximum of 1 hour after the park has closed for the night. This extra hour has proven to give all performing night dives ample time to get out of the water, stow their gear, and complete a de-briefing. No additional time is given or allowed beyond the one hour. Hope that helps, if you need additional information I can be reached via email or by phone. My phone number is 303-696-4342. Thank you for your interest in Aurora Reservoir.

Rick Mueller
Chief Ranger
City of Aurora Open Space"

So be seeing all of my fellow landlocked divers this diving season!

Ciao,

Jeff

So where is the diving in the greater Denver area, or all of Colorado for that matter?

Any mountain lakes?

Speaking of diving in colorado or high altitude for that matter. Has any one a link or know of the changes to adjust to for diving tables?

I'm in Colorado Springs and always willing to help put a trip together.

I did Pueblo Reservoir last weekend. The vis was terrible. I could almost keep site of my buddy. Saw a clam, some fresh water muscles, and a dead minnow... just trying to log some dives to start my DM training.

I did my beginner training at blue hole. I actually like it there. The visibility is really great. I'm doing Rescue diver there the end of this month and actually may do a fun dive next weekend. It's 5.5 hrs from Colo Spgs.

Hey, RugbyDiver... where's your home pitch?

anyone interested in joining or help starting a colorado group or maybe a colorado/utah/new mexico group? drop me an email.

It looks like everyone in this thread is looking for a place to dive in Colorado.

First of all, you can always go to Dive Training MAgazines map of local dive spots: http://www.dtmag.com/dive-usa/divingusa.html

You will see a lot of little flags in Colorado, but no descriptions of any of them.

One that has not been mentioned in this thread is Carter Lake. I have dived in it for training exercises, and I can't think of another reason to do it.

I add my voice to those looking for a Colorado-specific club, and I would be happy to converse with any of the others on this thread who are looking for more ideas and/or companionship.

There is the Homestead crater near Park City, Utah. There is the Blue Hole in New Mexico as discussed previously.
But, I am working on a project to dive on townsites, old fishing lodges, Ghost towns, that have been inundated when a damn was built for a resevoir. There were three towns, numerous highway and railroad bridges, vehicles, etc. flooded under Blue Mesa resevoir in Gunnison. Mid summer to late fall is the best time to check it out. Springtime is impossible due to runoff. The lake is frozen all winter. Fall is the best time because the water level is down due to water release for agriculture. Shallower dives equal more bottom time. Lake surface is at 7500 ft when full, but can easily be 50 feet lower than that by September. Water temp gets cold fast as you descend. Drysuit material! Vis varies from 0 to about 30 feet depending on calmness of the lake, weather, runoff, etc. There is a dive shop in Crested Butte that will fill your tanks. They have a few tanks and weight to rent.

boulderjohn:
It looks like everyone in this thread is looking for a place to dive in Colorado.

First of all, you can always go to Dive Training MAgazines map of local dive spots: http://www.dtmag.com/dive-usa/divingusa.html

You will see a lot of little flags in Colorado, but no descriptions of any of them.

One that has not been mentioned in this thread is Carter Lake. I have dived in it for training exercises, and I can't think of another reason to do it.

I add my voice to those looking for a Colorado-specific club, and I would be happy to converse with any of the others on this thread who are looking for more ideas and/or companionship.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom