Denver and Colorado diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SueJ

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Is there anyplace around Estes Park, CO to dive? My family will be there in May; we're not worried about the water temp.

East of Estes Park (out on the prairie) there are many resevoirs and farm ponds. I can't think of any that would be worth diving. (Later in the year, Don and Dee might want to catalog high altitude pond scum)

Along the front range lakes the visibility would be about zero in May. The runoff from snow melt would have them very cold and muddy. The runoff doesn't even peak until mid June. Estes Lake, right on the edge of town is mostly just muddy bottom. Decent fishing in the evenings July and August. I believe the deepest part is going to be about 15-18 feet. Not many weeds or plants yet in May.

West of Estes Park is Rocky Mountain National Park. Some of the most beautiful scenery in the country. Ranks right up there with Teton, Wyoming and Driggs, Idaho. There are many high country lakes that will be clear enough to dive later in the year but will probably still be frozen over in May.

Estes Park in May is a beautiful area. You will have a great vacation. Baby deer and elk in the meadows west of town. Mountain Goats and Bighorn Sheep a little farther west. Marmots playing in the rocks on the hillsides. One of the best birdwatching areas around at that time of year. Temeratures 70 daytime 25 at night. Probably will snow once or twice but bluebird skies in between.

If you are a Steven King fan, some of his movies were filmed at the Hotel there.

But it is not a dive site.

Tom

I've submitted a request to attend a conference in Denver at the end of July.

Not that it would be an influencing factor or anything, but is there diving around there? Would it be worth while to plan a few extra days to dive? Is it considered "altitute" diving?

Denver is 5280 feet and would be considered altitude diving. I'm about 150 miles west of Denver and can't think of anyplace around there that would be worth the trip to dive. The end of July the water temp should be in the 70's.

There are a couple of larger lakes right on the edge of the city.

Cherry Creek State Park
http://parks.state.co.us/cherry_creek/index.asp
cherry.creek.park@state.co.us

Chatfield State Park
http://parks.state.co.us/chatfield/index.asp
info@chatfieldstatepark.org

Barr Lake is probably the best for wildlife. Definately the best for birds. But about 20 miles out of town.
http://parks.state.co.us/boating/barr/index.html
barrlake@csn.net
But I don't think they even allow swimming there.

Many smaller lakes in the area, but I really can't think of a dive site. You might get some ideas from

Colorado Scuba Center (303) 986-0007
Underwater Phantaseas (888) 548-dive diver@uwphantaseas.com
Denver Divers scuba@denver-divers.com

I hope that gets you pointed in the right direction.

Enjoy your trip
Tom

I'm going to be up in the Denver on the 19th, I was wondering if anyone would be up for a local night dive?

Even if not, I'd appreciate pointers on good local sites and LDS' :)

Jeff

Colorado has one of the highest diving populations in the US, you will be hard pressed to find any good dive spots and unless you are diving dry I would forget about it all together as the water temp right now is about 38 deg.

And from my experience at all the dive shops you are going to pay retail for gear. I haven't found any deals or anybody willing to deal.

ID

I think Roakey is up in that neck o' the mountains (Colorado Springs). You might PM him and see what he knows and if you two could buddy up.

Roakey goes to "Blue Hole" to dive, been talking to him for several weeks about the diving up here.

ID

Hmmm...I might be headed up to Blue Hole within the next 6 weeks for a class (Adv.EAN/Deco). Wonder how likely I'd run into him?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom