DEMA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you pump in enough water, the last remaining air will be compressed and give a few more breaths than a "standard tank", or it could just be physically a little larger?

Back in the early 90s (I think) there was a company that was going to fix the separate BC issues with the wetsuit they invented. The chest area was double wall and was the bladder. It wasn't a commercial success either.

Good luck when you take one of those tanks in to get a VIP on it. Or even filled.

Says it delivers more air than a normal (Al80?) tank, while weighing less, despite having a bunch of batteries and pumps and stuff. Does it run 5000# in a carbon tank to do that? Says it manages buoyancy by pumping corrosive seawater at very high pressure into the tank, with a bladder to separate it from the air. With a battery powered pump? It’s not outright impossible but seems a ways beyond current state of the art.
If you’re diving cold water you’re still packing a bunch of lead just to sink your suit, and you still want extra buoyancy on the surface just in case. Even if this does hold up to every claim I think I’ll stick with my heavy rig.
I was there checking it out. I thought it was an interesting concept.

Like any scuba gears, corrosiveness should not be a problem if you use the right material of construction (MOC). It does use higher pressure than AL80 in order to be smaller than AL80 and yet having similar air capacity with AL80.

I’m not sure about the tank MOC. It looks like metal on the outside shell. I don’t know what MOC for the internal.

Submarine have used fish swim bladder concept for many years. Why not put it in a scuba tank?

As to cold water diving, the video doesn’t show it. It may just be comparing it with a warm water diving like in Caribbean.

I can imagine carrying that through airport security when I cannot even get a tiny set of allen key wrenches through. Uh, sir, what is that thing in your suitcase ????? Oh, nothing, just a 5,000 psi scuba tank with lithium ion batteries powering pumps. Should go over real big!

Curious though, with new battery tech and acceptance more and more of electronics in diving (CCRs for example and computers) when we might see an AI computer controlled, software driven electronic servo actuated regulator than can based on your breathing patterns and past demand anticipate your next breath and supply exactly that amount of air transparently exactly when you want it as if you were sitting on your couch or your elliptical trainer instead of 100 FSW, with no lag, no cracking force, just exactly mimicking your breathing pattern.

N

I thought there would be a lot of skepticism if not outright ridiclue but a few people i spoke to who know a lot about the technical issues and the scuba business were guardedly positive about it. Surprising to me.

They wouldnt give a cost - only that it would be comparable to a BC, tank and weights. Huge variable.

Personally i think it is an expensive and complicated solution in search of a problem but what do i know.

Btw the tanks appear to be carbon wrapped and covered in epoxy.. What happens it they get dinged on a rock and the epoxy cracks?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom