DEMA lack of ETHICS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe where you dive ... where I dive, divemasters help teach classes ... but you won't see them working on charter boats or guiding divers around a dive site. We're expected to be able to do that for ourselves.
... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I understand that. Not many scuba "lift tickets" required for Puget Sound. In TX, we have very little SW shore diving so charters and trips are what we have to deal with.

And while I realize it is a personal shortcoming, I just have not been able to convince myself or my wife that we really need to go to WA rather than COZ for our next trip.:D

It used to be that "all the big orders were done at DEMA" and it was the only place that you could see new gear, or a brochure on it. With the internet, that appears to not be true anymore

With the age of internet marketing, does DEMA still serve a purpose?

It used to be that "all the big orders were done at DEMA" and it was the only place that you could see new gear, or a brochure on it. With the internet, that appears to not be true anymore

With the age of internet marketing, does DEMA still serve a purpose?

The goal of every large distributor / marketing company at any "Trade Show" is to tie up the budget of the Retailer.

In other words Marketing Co #1 succeeds in "signing" a certain LDS, to buy a minimum $$ amount, that same LDS usually cannot do the same with their competitor.

In the past the Trade show provided a means, maybe even the best means, of educating the prospective LDS about the product line, and the company.

The Internet has of course changed this. Companies that are using the net well can provide much of this "Retailer Education" online, product info, company policies, etc.

What remains for the show is the hands on element for the products, and the personal relationships between the vendors and the retailers.

It is however pretty easy to view large, expensive, trade shows as a sort of tax on the industry, and one that may not be justified much longer. Cost to the exhibitor needs to better managed or the Trade Show in it's current form will just go away.

Tobin

It is however pretty easy to view large, expensive, trade shows as a sort of tax on the industry, and one that may not be justified much longer. Cost to the exhibitor needs to better managed or the Trade Show in it's current form will just go away.
'

Remember, that in the end run, all of this is paid for by the consumer (diver) as they are the end purchasers of the product trying to be sold or marketed at these shows...

so whether the tradeshow expense is out of the manufacturer's pocket, that is passed on in the cost of the product to the dealer (LDS), which then passes it on to us as consumers.

'

Remember, that in the end run, all of this is paid for by the consumer (diver) as they are the end purchasers of the product trying to be sold or marketed at these shows...

so whether the tradeshow expense is out of the manufacturer's pocket, that is passed on in the cost of the product to the dealer (LDS), which then passes it on to us as consumers.

Yes of course it's passed onto the consumer, like all other "Taxes"

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom