DEMA 2023 Presentation : The Darkest Hours

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beldridg

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am going to co-present the "near miss" escape and rescue from being trapped inside an upside down Japanese oiler, the IJN Sata, in Palau in Aug 2022. I will be joining Aron Arngrimsson, Geoff Creighton, and Antti Apunen from Dirty Dozen Expeditions to describe the incident, the rescue, and -- most importantly -- the lessons learned. I was one of four divers trapped inside the wreck.

The presentation will be on the Show Floor - Booth #1351 on Wednesday, November 15, 2023 from 3:00pm-3:45pm.

I believe there are plans to record the presentation and I will publish my detailed account of the incident on my blog at Wrecked in my rEvo the day of the presentation.

DEMA show link : DEMA Show 2023: Session: The Darkest Hours - A Six-Hour Struggle to Escape From an Upside Down Wreck

I had posted about the presentation on my blog a while ago but the date/time have now been finalized so I'm posting it here.

Regards,

- brett

Just read the blog, I heard all about it on MV Tata with John Entwistle enroute to Bikini, back in August 2023 and it certainly made me rethink my tendency to "over rely" on the RMS and be a bit Scottish on the Scrubber time buffer. No discrespect to Scottish CCR divers intended.

Below is a link to the blogpost I wrote about the incident. It is a detailed timeline of what happened and my perspective during the incident and, for me personally, the things I think we did right and the lessons I learned. It is my viewpoint only.

- brett

Below is a link to the blogpost I wrote about the incident. It is a detailed timeline of what happened and my perspective during the incident and, for me personally, the things I think we did right and the lessons I learned. It is my viewpoint only.

- brett
That is one hell of a story. Thanks for the write-up, I wish I could have heard the presentation.

- brett
Thanks for putting this out there. I'll be honest, my adrenaline was through the roof just reading your blog post. I can't imagine how you must have felt.

That is one hell of a story. Thanks for the write-up, I wish I could have heard the presentation.

Yes, it really is. Thanks for reading and thanks for the feedback.

For quite some time, I have promoted the idea that our industry should be better at publicly discussing incidents and doing accident analysis. It took a little bit of time for this one to get published, but this my attempt at "walking the walk."

I can only hope that others learn from the incident and are more open to discussing publicly the mistakes they have made. I clearly made some big mistakes on this dive and it isn't always easy to publicly own up to those errors, but it is critically important IMHO.

- brett

Thanks for putting this out there. I'll be honest, my adrenaline was through the roof just reading your blog post. I can't imagine how you must have felt.

Thanks for the feedback. It was definitely something I'll never forget.

- brett

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom