DEMA 2017: anything new for beginner divers ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Roger Hobden

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
DEMA 2017 is starting today. Is there anything new that beginner divers should know about ?

Garmin has their first entry into the PDC market. I can't wait to see it.

Garmin has their first entry into the PDC market. I can't wait to see it.
its GPS CAVE....... in 3oo feet make a left to enter the lockwood tunnel!!! its Great put one on lay a way !!!!
but actually i bet garmin could make a cool pdc!

its Great put one on lay a way !!!!
I'm pretty committed to my Petrel. That won't stop me from looking at it.

love the Petrel / perdix great product great people! ...... i will say the dive soft computer is pretty slick too! played with it a bit at the winter work shop.. still keeping my shearwater

There is always somebody selling something that will make you a great diver if you buy their product.
The best thing to get for a beginning diver is time in the water and mentoring from a good diver.

Eventually I will want to stop renting and start buying, hence my question about new dive equipment.

Buy gear that will work for the diving you are doing and plan on doing. There have not been any major improvements in much of the dive gear in years. There have been incremental increases in performance but basic designs have not changed in years. Unless you have lots of disposable income don’t buy bling as it looks good but doesn’t add performance. Some types of diving may be optimized by some types of gear, sidemount, back mounted doubles, tech diving, cold water diving.
For recreational diving all the regulators on the market today are good. Some may have advantages, environmentally sealed, diaphragm/piston, breath slightly better, have a better warranty, better service network, better resale.
BC’s depend on the type of diving you do, warm water, cold water, air travel, each has an optimal type, I have 4.

Back
Top Bottom