Delay AOW?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jponline77:
Great opinions... I can see this is a bit of a hot topic. Thanks for all the perspectives.

I like a topic where I can take a number of things away from it. I didn't really see the AOW as an introductory course. I kind of thought of it like OW, I am now certified to night dive, deep dive, etc... In reality, this is purely based on comfort level and experience. I see that from this discussion.

I do feel though, based on what I've seen and read that 100 feet is much less forgiving to mistakes than is 60ft. That extra 40ft can make a big difference. Also, I do want to get some drysuit experience before I move onto the AOW course. It seems that this will make sense.

I am confident that I can handle myself well under normal circumstance and even normal issues. However, what happens when at 90ft the dry suit inflator gets stuck? Can I think clear enough to pull the inflator from the drysuit and deflate quick enough that I'm not an a 100ft uncontrolled ascent? Probably, but being more comfortable with equipment definately increase that chance.

The other thing that I have been thinking about is, why rush anyway? Let me wear out the shallow dive experiences. Then I can feel excited about the deeper dives/night dives to reinvigorate my diving. It will lengthen the amount of time that I can enjoy the sport.

JP, I really hoped this helped. ScubaBoard is a great place to get opinions - good or bad. I think your biggest issue is the dry suit, not the AOW class. Isn't there a class for dry suits? I admit I've never used one - I dive in shorts in tropical waters - but putting one on scares me to death.

jponline77:
Great opinions... I can see this is a bit of a hot topic. Thanks for all the perspectives.

I like a topic where I can take a number of things away from it. I didn't really see the AOW as an introductory course. I kind of thought of it like OW, I am now certified to night dive, deep dive, etc... In reality, this is purely based on comfort level and experience. I see that from this discussion.

I do feel though, based on what I've seen and read that 100 feet is much less forgiving to mistakes than is 60ft. That extra 40ft can make a big difference. Also, I do want to get some drysuit experience before I move onto the AOW course. It seems that this will make sense.

I am confident that I can handle myself well under normal circumstance and even normal issues. However, what happens when at 90ft the dry suit inflator gets stuck? Can I think clear enough to pull the inflator from the drysuit and deflate quick enough that I'm not an a 100ft uncontrolled ascent? Probably, but being more comfortable with equipment definately increase that chance.

The other thing that I have been thinking about is, why rush anyway? Let me wear out the shallow dive experiences. Then I can feel excited about the deeper dives/night dives to reinvigorate my diving. It will lengthen the amount of time that I can enjoy the sport.

Sage and sober conclusions, JP...

Enjoy... and dive safe...

Ok, so this obviously is NOT going to be a popular opinion...but I encourage my students to take AOW directly following their OW course. The reason...in OW the students are taken through a series of skills they need to be able to demonstrate "mastery" of, to get certified to dive. Oh...and then they go on a short tour of the dive site, usually just watching the fins of the instructor or DM that is leading the dive.

So, following any of the OW courses from any of the certification agencies...are they ready to grab a buddy from their class and go dive? Theoretically, yes. But most students are still a bit green after only 4 dives. (Or maybe I'm the only one who was...?)

AOW = Advanced OPEN WATER. This is not advanced diving. This is taking the skills that you learn in OW and applying those to 5 real dive situations, adding task loading (i.e. more instruction with navigation, using lighting underwater, etc.) all under the supervision of an instructor.

Now, being able to appreciate those who want to get a few more dives under their belt before they take AOW...I would strongly suggest that they find someone with some experience and certs under their belt to dive with. Club dives are good ways to do this.

What I wouldn't want to see...two OW students fresh from class, an unforeseen emergency arises, minimal rescue skills, still trying to figure their gear AND their buddies gear out. Yeah, that's just not a scenario that I want to hear that my students were in.

I teach basic rescue (tows, theory) in OW...but realistically, with all that you learn in OW, are you really prepared to be the lead diver in a rescue with your OW cert?

I believe in more education. There's alot to learn in scuba...and there's two ways to learn everything. The easy way, and the hard way.

Cindy
http://www.girldiver.com

4 more dives with an instructor during AOW will be the best route to take? Most people coming straight out of OW need to hit the ocean with another experienced diver for atleast a dozen more dives. Why on earth would an instructor think that more class is better that more experience?
Oh, its the handholding that the student needs and should pay for? Well he'd be better off just paying a DM to take him diving so he can work on things he learned in OW class. It's cheaper and its one on one. Then, when the basics are second nature, move into AOW class and learn more.
Is a diver straight out of AOW allowed to just keep getting certs straight up to DM or DI without doing any dives between his certs? Riiiiight.

all4scuba05:
Most people coming straight out of OW need to hit the ocean with another experienced diver for at least a dozen more dives.

I agree 100%. And where would a new OW diver find one of these "experienced divers"? Hmm. Would an instructor suffice? :wink:

all4scuba05:
Is a diver straight out of AOW allowed to just keep getting certs straight up to DM or DI without doing any dives between his certs? Riiiiight.
Yes. They are.

Joe

Sideband:
all4scuba05:

Yes. They are.

Joe

I think that was the point. That a brand new OW student can jump directly into AOW, then from AOW into specialy after specialty right up into DM and beyond without ever doing any diving on thier own.

FD

fire_diver:
I think that was the point. That a brand new OW student can jump directly into AOW, then from AOW into specialy after specialty right up into DM and beyond without ever doing any doing on thier own.

FD
Make that "right up through instructor" I've seen it happen.
Ber :lilbunny:

It's an interesting discussion.

For those of us who don't own our own boat, and who have to spend up to $100 to go with a dive operator, an AOW means the diver charter might let us dive deeper, I think that's my situation.

How much do you think it would cost me to pay a DM to buddy with me for a boat and shore dive? I would love to dive with an expert. :)

Guess we're fortunate around my area because we have shore dives that go beyond OW depths. I paid a DI $50 after OW once. 2 hours of one on one. No need for the $100 boat charter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom