Defogging mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mksmith713

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
OK, I'm a newbie so please bear with me.
I've always been told the there is no stupid question so......here it goes.
I've heard that using baby shampoo works well as a defogger on masks.
Has anyone ever tried or considered trying that Rain-X stuff that's used on cars to keep water beading up on windshields?
It would seem to me that it would work.....in theory anyway.

Take a few drops of the Rain-X stuff and rub it around your eyes, and see how it feels. That stuff shouldn't be anywhere near your face.

Stick with baby shampoo. It's the shiznit.

Dave (aka "Squirt")

Any soap will work. Liquid dish soap works best, but it will burn your eyes if you aren't careful. Johnson's No More Tears works almost as well and doesn't burn.

To be most effective, start with a dry mask. Next put a small amount of shampoo (do not water it down) in the mask and rub it around. Let it dry in the mask. If you can put it in a week or two ahead of time, that's not too soon. Rinse it out just before you get in the water and don't rinse it much. When rinsing, avoid the mask bucket in which everyone else has already sloshed their masks. I usually don't rinse my mask until I'm in the water.

Rainer, you took the words right out of my mouth. Save the $5 for a post-dive beer and just use good ol' spit. You have a regular supply with you all the time, and in my years of diving, I've never had an issue with a mask fogging up on me...

Heh, maybe I could bottle it up and sell it on ebay? 'Genuine Brit Spit – it's the mutt's nuts'! Could be on to a winner...

Mark

There are a number of products and methods to help keep a mask from fogging:

First, IMO keep your mask clean. I find that clean glass tends to fog up less.

Products

• Sea Gold defog - This is my favorite over the counter defog. I ignore the instructions, and put this on the mask before the dive and let it dry. I then rinse once in the water. This stuff works great in combination with a clean lens
  • PSI 500 - This is my LEAST favorite defog, not because it does not work, it does. The problem with this stuff is that it's almost like a car wax. The white residue gets in the cracks and is difficult to remove.
  • Aquaseal Sea drops - This is similar to Sea Gold but is more liquid. It really never drys on the mask, so I just put this on a few minutes before the dive, and then do a light rinse.
  • Spit - If you foget defog, or just like going ala natural, spit does work, and many swear by it. This is likely NOT a good idea if you enjoy a good plug before a dive! :rofl3:
  • Johnsons baby shampoo - This works very well. Walter gave a good suggestion for how to use this, however even if you can't get in on the mask well in advance, giving the mask a good smear with the shampoo and then a light rinse works well.
  • dish soap - Dish soap is like the Baby shampoo but it has a downside. If this stuff gets in your eyes, you are going to wish to god you never used it. This has not happened to me, and I have tried dishsoap. But I avoid it just for the potential issues.

Hope this helps

OK, I'm a newbie so please bear with me.
I've always been told the there is no stupid question so......here it goes.
I've heard that using baby shampoo works well as a defogger on masks.
Has anyone ever tried or considered trying that Rain-X stuff that's used on cars to keep water beading up on windshields?

As already mentioned, you need to avoid products that will burn your eyes (and/or could cause injury). Baby shampoo, spit or store bought products like SeaGold or SeaQuick all work. Some work better than others depending on how they are applied. Regardless of which method you use if your mask is new you'll need to give the inside lens a good cleaning so your defog method optimally performs.

"New masks have an oil film that was deposited on the tempered glass lens as part of the manufacturing process. This oil film causes water vapor to bead on the lens of the mask causing a significant amount of fogging which also prevents defog solutions from working effectively."

Tooth paste (not the gel kind) does a good job. Their is also an over the counter product called SeaBuff. Either way scrub the inside of the lens with your fingers until it is "squeaky clean". You only have to do this once. It will help which ever defog you choose do its job...

Absolutely not

Any agent that promodes beading is exactly what you need to avoid.

A clean mask with a defog agent (spit, baby shampoo or a commercial product) will force the inevitable condensation to sheet and invisibly flow to the base of the mask. Fog is beaded water.

Here's an explanation of what you need to know.

Pete

Toothpaste. Works every time.

Even MarkUK has used it. BritSpit indeed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom