Defogging mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MK, the best buy is BABY SHAMPOO and it works best also. A mask which is broken in can be protected by spitting into the faceplate and rinsing. Some masks will not "break in". I did not know this until recently. Honestly, I had never encountered the need to use anything except spit until I bought this frameless mask sokd by PROMATE. It is a good mask but I can tell you that neither dish washing soap nor any other soap, or toothpaste for that matter, will defog that mask. Rub in the shampoo and rinse once, lightly.

Step 1: use a lighter and burn the inside of the glass, be careful not to burn the silicone/rubber
Step 2: use regular toothpaste, apply on the glass and rinse
Step 3: prior to a dive spit in the mask
Step 4: when underwater, if it fogs, let some water in, tilt horizontal so that it may remove the fog from the glass and clear your mask

Repeat step 2 if needed every dozen or so dives. It can also be skipped in favour of step 3 and step 4.

Repeat step 4 as much as needed (there are good days meaning once or twice, there are bad days meaning every 5 mins or so...).

Cheap and effective.

Or, not so cheap if you mess up the mask with step 1... :D

Hmmmm brit spit. I actually really LOVE spit but unfortunately don't really produce too much of it. :angel: And asking for someone else's is a bit .... bleech. As for BritSpit - I have a constant source of it with my husband around. :shakehead:

My girlfriend has an Atomic Frameless and has had really problems with it fogging. Done the toothpaste thing and used PSI both scrub and defog to no avail. The only thing that worked well was baby shampoo. She applied a very little amount and found it worked best if she didn't wash it away, view wasn't completely clear above water but was fine when she dove.

Back
Top Bottom