Defective BCD in Confined Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The equipment I used in my pool dives was the same equipment I was rented for my Open water Dives so I guess this LDS does not differentiate between rental and pool equipment, which leads to a greater reason for concern

six- i had the same thing with my dry suit class. i wasnt dry once...every dive, the pool, and both open waters the suit leaked. when i complained i got nothing...i learned about half of what i should have because of faulty and old equiptment and now have to learn again what i should have learned with friends and generous instructors this weekend at dutch.....i have nothing good to say about the teacher who rushed us through with jokes and gruff and i have no idea how he passed me and why i paid him? next time i will pick my teachers way more carefully. next class in intro to cave and that has to be the best. all equiptment will be mine so that one thing off the table...anyway just some support. sorry that happened to you. wendy

six- i had the same thing with my dry suit class. i wasnt dry once...every dive, the pool, and both open waters the suit leaked..........

IMHO that LDS owner should be killed three times over. Either that or they should be forced to dive at 390' (3 times the 130' rec limit) with that very leaky suit. Let's see if they come up from the deep abyss with a suit fill of water and insufficient lift. That is just dangerous.

The equipment I used in my pool dives was the same equipment I was rented for my Open water Dives so I guess this LDS does not differentiate between rental and pool equipment, which leads to a greater reason for concern

Why is this a concern? I'd venture to bet that 90% or more of dive shops rent out the same gear they use in pool training. This is the very essence of "rental gear."

Our fleet of BCD's is used both in the pool and is rented out. No one seems to have a problem with being able to train in or rent Dive Rite Transpacs (with Travel, Venture and Rec Wings.) Most shops would not put this level of quality into training or rental gear.

Why is this a concern? I'd venture to bet that 90% or more of dive shops rent out the same gear they use in pool training. This is the very essence of "rental gear."

Our fleet of BCD's is used both in the pool and is rented out. No one seems to have a problem with being able to train in or rent Dive Rite Transpacs (with Travel, Venture and Rec Wings.) Most shops would not put this level of quality into training or rental gear.

The concern stems from the fact that the LDS' rental/class gear (BCDs) is old, decrepit and many of the features on said equipment does not function properly.

Why is this a concern? I'd venture to bet that 90% or more of dive shops rent out the same gear they use in pool training. This is the very essence of "rental gear."......

The concern stems from the fact that the LDS' rental/class gear (BCDs) is old, decrepit and many of the features on said equipment does not function properly.

If the gear does not function as it is supposed to, then I agree there is cause for concern. However, as off thewall1 has said, rental gear is just gear that you essentially "lend out" to people and that could be an independant rental to a certified diver or an inclusive rental to a student. The fact that the same gear was used in a pool and an open water dive means nothing.

No dive shop could afford to carry different gear for every occasion (this is for fresh water, this is for salt water, this is for night dives, this is for river dives, this is for boat dives.....you get the point). Their costs would be astronomically high and for something that serves no benefit to you and I, the consumers. I just want the gear in their shop to function as it is supposed to all the time.....end of story. (I own everything so I am not speaking for myself here)

The point I was trying to make was that I could work with a BC or regulator that is in 'OK' or 'Borderline' shape during a 12' deep pool dive but would not accept it if that kind of equipment is used in open water where the risk of running into life threatening situations with 'Borderline' gear rises exponentially.

Everyone who's read the thread knows that I've harped enough about the condition of MY BCD during the confined water dives; that was the main reason for the thread. My other experiences not withstanding, I think it's fair to be accusatory at this point that the LDS does not seem to care about any gear that they provide to students, renters, etc. I don't think anyone expects rental or class equipment to be brand-spankin' new all the time and a bit of wear should be expected on gear that's been rented or used in a pool. But to keep using gear that is obviously beyond its service life is just utterly ridiculous.

.............But to keep using gear that is obviously beyond its service life is just utterly ridiculous.

That is absolutely true and I am sure everyone agrees with you.

Had the same sort of experience with our LDS.

Instructor charged us $x and said it comes with rental gear for our dives. Head over to LDS and tell them you are with me and they'll give you rental gear.

What she didn't say was that each person had to spend $300 at LDS shop. No, it wasn't a total of $600 for two people, but $300 each. Or, pay for rental gear each time. (At $15 per item = $60/outing--yes, they charge $15 for weights)

So as frugal people looking to get a good deal, we purchased a few items from LDS and a few from LeisurePro (no complaints) and a few items from scuba.com.

So when we went in to pick up gear for the pool dives, they looked at us like we were trying to rob them.

After we were certified, we tried again the LDS...our instructor kept telling us how important it is to go to our LDS...to rent gear for a beach dive with friends. Went in to rent gear. Walked out with a "sale" flyer saying that we need a package of over $4000 per person. Hard to conceptualize how much everything is because nothing has price tags on it also.

I keep telling myself that scuba.com is my new LDS--Their actual store is easier to get to from my house, anyway.

Back
Top Bottom