Defective BCD in Confined Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here in Ny we have entertained the idea of changing our pricing structure.WHat the OP experienced is a big problem..What we are thinking of is to raise the price of an ow class by $100. So from $269. to $369..Thats for academics and confined water.When the prospective student signs up we hand them a non transferable gift certificate for $100. that can be applied towards personal gear only, for that individual . We hope that will prevent issues of gear purchased elsewhere.
This way the LDS either makes the $100. profit that they would make on personal gear sales if student does not purchase gear from LDS or makes the sale of personal gear. This has NOT been instituted yet, and may not be institueted, but is only an idea to answer issues of gear being purchased online/elsewhere.

That's a good idea for people that do not own scuba equipment which is the majority. My original issue was with the LDS not being upfront about their pricing structure and policies then handing us a piece of paper during class that stated otherwise. I may already own fins, snorkel and mask going into the class - what does the LDS do then? Force me to buy new equipment? :confused:

We have a boat trip going out this weekend! The wreck is the lana carol in about 70-90 ft. You should come!

That's a good idea for people that do not own scuba equipment which is the majority. My original issue was with the LDS not being upfront about their pricing structure and policies then handing us a piece of paper during class that stated otherwise. I may already own fins, snorkel and mask going into the class - what does the LDS do then? Force me to buy new equipment? :confused:
As you wrote most people do not own personal gear before the start of class.For those that may have the gear that perhaps was handed down to them from friends/relatives, the idea may work out that they can apply the gift certificate to a gear package of bcd/regulator /computer, or they do not use the gift certificate and the LDS makes up on the loss of the gear sales that way.. just an idea here...We already have an offer of a FREE ow course-academics and confined water (value of $269.) that if they purchase gear package of bcd/regulator/computer the price paid for the class comes off the price of the gear package. LDS have to become creative to compete with online sales to remain in business.

I realize this is an older, now revived thread. But, I had an experience last weekend with an OW class that seemed somewhat similar, and the issue (if not the particular situation originally described) has 'legs'. The key is to draw the line between what is acceptably safe vs indicative of poor training environment. So, going way (way) back to the OP that started this:
. . . because it's a very old BCD, the cummerbund velcro closure does not engage very well anymore and tends to "rip" apart when there's pressure applied from my torso area. There's also no adjustable snap closure in front of the cummerbund to keep it secure.
The velcro issue I understand. It happens as gear get used and gets older. Not having a (redundant) quick release buckle, I don't. This would be a dysfunctional BCD for us, and would be replaced for the course (and the old unit 'retired with extreme prejudice').
I've approached my instructor with this issue and he said they really can't do anything with it since it's the only size they had available that would fit me (it's a M/L).
OK, that was a somewhat lame response. A M/L is one of the most commonly needed sizes among our students, we keep several of them available for pool work, and others available for OW checkouts (which we use in the pool if circumstances require). I am OK with an situaton where a piece of equipment does not function properly at the start of a class. OK, so a student has to use it, perhaps, for one pool session. Beyond that, our shop is obligated, by conscience if nothing else, to find a better piece of equiipment for all subsequent sessions.

Last edited:
Here in Ny we have entertained the idea of changing our pricing structure.WHat the OP experienced is a big problem..What we are thinking of is to raise the price of an ow class by $100. So from $269. to $369..Thats for academics and confined water.When the prospective student signs up we hand them a non transferable gift certificate for $100. that can be applied towards personal gear only, for that individual . We hope that will prevent issues of gear purchased elsewhere.
This way the LDS either makes the $100. profit that they would make on personal gear sales if student does not purchase gear from LDS or makes the sale of personal gear. This has NOT been instituted yet, and may not be institueted, but is only an idea to answer issues of gear being purchased online/elsewhere.

As a new student I like that idea. As long as it's all upfront.

Oh, let me revive it one more time just for old times sakes! LOL!
Is the business still around?

As a new student I like that idea. As long as it's all upfront.

Is the business still around?

Yes, unfortunately but, hopefully, has changed their practices but I doubt it.

---------- Post added ----------

I was in SixGears first OW class. I did complete the OW with the original LDS, and liked the staff and DM's. However, I can verify that during our classroom session (and not before) we were informed that we paid a discounted price for cert. based on the idea that we would buy personal gear from that LDS. We were warned that we had to pay full price for cert. if we didn't have personal gear from the LDS by the checkout dives (when the LDS owners would be present). While I like the LDS in general, this policy really irritated me. If I hadn't already purchased my gear from the LDS prior to class, I would have probably followed SixGears lead. I understand the shop needs to make money to survive, but I found the "different prices" policy to be very shady and it took a while to wash the bad taste out of my mouth.

Just an update. I said before that I initially bought my mask, snorkel and fins from this LDS. Lo and behold, they have a no-questions-asked policy when returning gear that was bought from them. So I did - returned all the original stuff I bought!

Sixgears,

if the dve shop wont issue you anoter one/fix the one you are using then may I suggest to you, if you have the money then I would highly recommend buying your own BCD'S for the both of you this would eliminate that bad BCD issue and tell them to remove it till its repaired so that no one else recieves that old BCD

Back
Top Bottom