DeepBlu Cosmiq....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only areas of concern I would have on the Cosmic would be the charging and the app.

For Charging, a short lead can be mitigated with a USB extension. I would be concerned with contact charging on a livaboard where during the night there is the possibility of it disconnecting (an elastic band can sort that) - Something I've been considering about the OSTC 4. Being a Luddite I prefer a more physical and positive connection.

Again the Luddite in me isn't a fan of having to use an App to set up the computer. That statement makes my a bit of a hypocrite given that you need a Computer for the initial setting up of an Eon, however I prefer a mouse and keyboard.

Finally cloud based logs. My long vacation out of data connection (bliss) would have made this an issue, I also prefer 1 central piece of logging software that I can continue to use with different computers.

I know people aren't fans of rechargeable batteries. I can say after 2 years and 200 dives the battery on my Eon still has the same amount of dive time from a full charge as it did when new

Finally cloud based logs. My long vacation out of data connection (bliss) would have made this an issue, I also prefer 1 central piece of logging software that I can continue to use with different computers.

How long was this vacation, and how would it have impacted you vs. what you use now? I ask because the Cosmiq can hold 25 dives at a time, and you'll sync to your smart phone to back them up IIRC, then upload to the 'cloud' later back home or at least where there's a cell signal.

Currently, I suspect many people upload to a notebook PC when they're on a trip, or don't backup (shorter trips where the computer log can hold them all), and backup when they get home.

How would you have done it differently on that trip, using your EON?

Richard.

P.S.: I, too, prefer logs I can have on my phone & computer (e.g.: Mac Dive). I don't mind a cloud version, but I'm leery of having only a cloud version.

How long was this vacation, and how would it have impacted you vs. what you use now? I ask because the Cosmiq can hold 25 dives at a time, and you'll sync to your smart phone to back them up IIRC, then upload to the 'cloud' later back home or at least where there's a cell signal.

Currently, I suspect many people upload to a notebook PC when they're on a trip, or don't backup (shorter trips where the computer log can hold them all), and backup when they get home.

How would you have done it differently on that trip, using your EON?

I was on a trip for 4 weeks, in the end I logged almost 50 dives. On the boat there was no cell signal, and frankly I don't wish to use roaming for data when abroad. I didn't bother taking my mac on the trip, just an iPad with an external drive for photos as that's the easiest travel option

The Eon holds 999 dives, I just write down the sites each day in a little book with and pertinent notes and at the end of the trip when home upload my dives and fill in all the site info (the Eon being AI has all the gas data including gas switches etc) - I used to take my Mac with me, but on vacation the last thing I want to do is be sat down in front of my computer.

Does the Cosmiq upload to phone via wireless connection, or does it require cell service?

You can save "drafts" of your dive log in your phone without a data connection and then upload them when you have internet. Still..the app leaves something to be desired. I would love the ability for third party integration into Subsurface or another dive logging software even a Deepblu desktop app would suffice. The dive log is available only via mobile phone app on (Android or iOS) there is no desktop version of the mobile site to view your logs.

I use Subsurface for holding my dive log. I really like the fact that I started using it when I only had an Oceanic Atom computer. Since then, I've had a Shearwater Petrel 2 and now also have a SeaBear H3 and a Hollis TX-1. My Subsurface log contains all the dives from all 4 of those different computers. When I use multiple computers on the same dive, Subsurface automatically merges the dive data from each computer, based on the date and time matching up. So, in my log I only see 1 dive, but I can click on that dive and then toggle to see the specific data from each computer that I carried on that dive.

I would hate to have my dive data locked into some proprietary dive log where I could not use the same log to hold data from other computers if I eventually replaced the current computer at some point down the road.

One other issue that I've found is the buttons get lots of salt deposits stuck under them if not rinsed with fresh water. The buttons have actually gotten stuck on me. Obviously this is mostly my fault since I have a habit of not rinsing dive gear which I suspect is not unique to me.

General advice for all dive computers but throw it in a bucket of fresh warm/hot water.

Again the Luddite in me isn't a fan of having to use an App to set up the computer. That statement makes my a bit of a hypocrite given that you need a Computer for the initial setting up of an Eon, however I prefer a mouse and keyboard.

Well, for anything more complex than the basic time and date setup, a couple of buttons and a (relatively) tiny screen make a really sucky user interface. You'd want to do it on a proper computer. Cellphones are of course no better, but tablets are kinda getting close. Plus you could hook up a BT keyboard/mouse and an external monitor.

Ok, so suppose you had a ZHL-16C GF computer, how would you personally choose the conservatism? By that I mean how would you pick the numbers to use?
I pick the numbers based on the diving I have done. I typically run a 40/75 as a standard for my diving. When I first started tech training, I was running a 10/70 as that was what my instructor was using. I found I had less headaches after diving by adjusting up to a less conservative setting, to a point. When I got to around 50/85, I noticed I was more tired after a day of diving than I used to be, I backed back down and now sit where I am. There isn't much science in it, but it works for me.

Disclaimer: I won one Cosmiq last month via their video contest.

I mainly do tech dives and I use a simple uwatec bottom timer for my deco schedule. I have an old viper in my pocket for data-logging purposes. I was curious to test this device because I believe it has a lot of potentialities as bottom timer. Currently most of tech divers use full fledged computers just to have a bottom timers and proper bottom timers cost the same.

I had the opportunity to test it last week on a 55' @60m dive with max depth 70 m. It worked flawlessy and the screen was perfectly visible even on shallow stops. At depth it was perfect. Maybe some info is a little bit small for my sight (and age :wink:).

As bottom timer, current screen layout has just one (big) problem: Layout was designed by a lawyer and not by an Industrial designer :rolleyes:
About one-sixth of the screen estate (upper right portion) is occupied by a static GAU acronym to indicate you are in GAUGE mode!!!
Now... I understand they are afraid that the average joe diver sets accidentally the gauge mode instead of computer mode but there should be a better way to assure customer chose the right mode instead of waste 1/6 of the screen space.

Right now, while on land you switch mode simply pressing one button but via the app you can configure a default mode when the instrument feels the water. Maybe they should just add a couple of confirmation dialog when changing mode and that's it: "Are you sure you want to set XXX mode?" And then "Are you really really really sure?" :yeahbaby:

Currently we have runtime info very very small and a huge useless GAU sticker.
In my opinion GAU should be removed completely (there's a small icon on the upper part) and that 3 digits info should be used for runtime.

Anyway a very positive feeling underwater.

I attached a couple of horrible images taken from my buddy during deco stops. Arrows indicate the small runtime info and the red circle the GAU acronym.

cosmiq-01.jpg cosmiq-02.jpg Cattura.PNG

PS
They promised to add average depth to gauge mode in a future release. I'm looking forward to update my Cosmiq with new features.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom