Deep6 reg breathing wet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have tried that test but hooked up to my tanks with the air off. Seems to form a vacuum is why I was thinking it was the exhaust.

If you have done this, and the regs truly hold vacuum, like you cannot pull any air through them at all while they are attached to a tank but not pressurized, then there should be no way for water to leak in. Are you sure you are not getting any air at all when you try to inhale on them during this test? Just for grins, try it with your mask on; maybe the mask is somehow making your upper lip not seal against the mouthpiece. It's a long shot, but it only takes a few seconds to try it.

Other than that, the only thing that is different in the water is the exhaust valve opening to let out your exhaled air. When that happens, virtually all 2nd stages let a small amount of water in, but since the exhaust valve is typically at the lowest part of the case in normal dive position, it usually just leaks back out on the next exhalation. If you turn upside down, i.e. facing the surface, then the mouthpiece flange is the lowest part of the reg and any excess water in the 2nd stage will drain into your mouth. This is a design issue. You can replace the exhaust valve (diaphragm) and carefully clean the case where it seals; that might help some. It's not uncommon for a little sand or dried salt to disturb the seal there.

But, I will say that I have never found any 2nd stage of any design to be 100% dry in all positions, and I have never found any 2nd stage that really holds an excellent vacuum under hard inhalation pressure to breathe noticeably wet.

If it's the sort of thing that is very noticeable and seems to be independent of position, and your 2nd stage is doing a good job of holding vacuum on your test with the tank turned off, my best guess would be a mouthpiece issue, meaning your mouth is not sealing around it consistently.

If you have done this, and the regs truly hold vacuum, like you cannot pull any air through them at all while they are attached to a tank but not pressurized, then there should be no way for water to leak in. Are you sure you are not getting any air at all when you try to inhale on them during this test? Just for grins, try it with your mask on; maybe the mask is somehow making your upper lip not seal against the mouthpiece. It's a long shot, but it only takes a few seconds to try it.

Other than that, the only thing that is different in the water is the exhaust valve opening to let out your exhaled air. When that happens, virtually all 2nd stages let a small amount of water in, but since the exhaust valve is typically at the lowest part of the case in normal dive position, it usually just leaks back out on the next exhalation. If you turn upside down, i.e. facing the surface, then the mouthpiece flange is the lowest part of the reg and any excess water in the 2nd stage will drain into your mouth. This is a design issue. You can replace the exhaust valve (diaphragm) and carefully clean the case where it seals; that might help some. It's not uncommon for a little sand or dried salt to disturb the seal there.

But, I will say that I have never found any 2nd stage of any design to be 100% dry in all positions, and I have never found any 2nd stage that really holds an excellent vacuum under hard inhalation pressure to breathe noticeably wet.

If it's the sort of thing that is very noticeable and seems to be independent of position, and your 2nd stage is doing a good job of holding vacuum on your test with the tank turned off, my best guess would be a mouthpiece issue, meaning your mouth is not sealing around it consistently.

I just tried this with mask and removed regulator from hose and covered port. Definitely getting a seal. Removed exhaust port and examined exhaust diaphragm and no damage.

I have tried the same mouthpiece of an apex atx40 with no wet breathing so it does have something to do with the deep6 second stage.

Emailing deep6 today for advice.

Thanks everyone for the tips! I appreciate all the help.

I just tried this with mask and removed regulator from hose and covered port. Definitely getting a seal. Removed exhaust port and examined exhaust diaphragm and no damage.

I have tried the same mouthpiece of an apex atx40 with no wet breathing so it does have something to do with the deep6 second stage.

Emailing deep6 today for advice.

Thanks everyone for the tips! I appreciate all the help.

Do please come back and post the outcome, thanks, and good luck!

FWIW, I had a Deep6 second shipped long ago that failed the inhale test with an obvious leak. Diaphragm was fine. Exhaust valve was fine.
Turned out the adjustment knob oring was sheared when it was first installed, and the reg was leaking into the case from the knob side.
Deep6 started inspecting every reg delivered from the factory and it hasn't been an issue since...

FWIW, I had a Deep6 second shipped long ago that failed the inhale test with an obvious leak. Diaphragm was fine. Exhaust valve was fine.
Turned out the adjustment knob oring was sheared when it was first installed, and the reg was leaking into the case from the knob side.
Deep6 started inspecting every reg delivered from the factory and it hasn't been an issue since...
Haven’t seen that yet on a new reg, oops!

With my D6 seconds I find that if I inhale very slowly it will cause the diaphragm to flutter causing slight wet breathing. I have to inhale very slowly for it to happen. I tend to like it as when my mouth gets too dry this helps out.

So to update. Followed advise to wet diaphragm before putting on faceplate. This partially helped and breathing was less wet.

I really focused on testing what could be causing the wet breathing.

Slow controlled breaths are mostly dry. If I do quick/harsh breaths it is far more wet. I was able to replicate this consistently. So something is causing water to enter when I try to pull a lot of air quickly.

And a negative pressure check with the hose input plugged has zero leak?

It's not a SeaCure mouthpiece by any chance, is it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom