Deep6 Excursion - Repetitive Dives, Surface Intervals, Residual Nitrogen and Dive Planning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hope one day we can have a thread that involves Deep6 Gear and will be informative without the haters trying hijack. Not helpful at all to the posters and those trying to help.
Don't hold your breath. Deep 6 is disruptive to a faltering industry, and there are many who are vested in their failure or have relationships with those who are vested.

OK, this is the only computer (Crest CR-4, Genesis Centauri, Deep 6 Excursion) that handles deco that way. All rec computers I know of give you stop time. This is also designed to get you to the surface safely. So, I still say, it handles deco in an unusual way.

I do not disagree. But I'm adding that I think that is not bad.

You are absolutely correct. The Excursion is a fine computer for the recreational diver who does not plan on going into deco. If they happen to exceed NDL, the computer will give them a safe route to the surface. As it handles deco differently than most computers, it would be good if the diver understood this ahead of time, so that they are not confused by the negative numbers in the NDL location. The NDL header in this section is prominently replaced by DECO, it should be clear.

The @rsingler pressure pot dive of the Excursion is still on SB Thoughts on Deep 6's new DC The thread was eventually closed, but not deleted. There is also a video of the deco sequence in the same thread, posted by Chris Richardson, in post #524
The linked run directly answers @KenGordon 's question. When the NDL is violated, the computer shows a ceiling of 16.4' (5m). Rsingler keeps it at the same depth as the violation time adds up and the ceiling goes to 29' and eventually 39' (he has it set to GF 35/75). He then starts the ascent. During the ascent and before hitting the 39' stop, the ceiling goes back to 29'.

The changes in ceiling while in violation clearly shows the computer is continuing to calculate on and off-gassing.

Another nice feature the run shows that we haven't discussed is that if you do all the required stops, the computer goes back to normal operation for the SI and subsequent dives. It doesn't lock you out or penalize you like some computers and the PADI tables do.

For those documenting fallacies: this is ableism. They truly believe that only they are capable of doing something correctly. You run into this with many old-school dive shops who believed that if they don't teach, dive or sell it, then it must crap. It's truly the antithesis of dive and let dive.
I have made my living out of software for a very long time. I have looked at a very great deal of software. Much of it is a lot worse than a bad dive shop. Reading the code of the OSTC put me off.

Is any of them resold by Deep 6?

This thread is about someone who didn't RTFM and his question was answered on page 1.
In the OP's defense, his question was about the Surface Interval display which is not covered in the manual.

The manual is a weak point for this computer, although it does accurately cover the NDL display which somehow became the focus of this thread.

Crest just updated their manual though. You can find it at https://crestdiving.com/wp-content/...er-Manual-使用說明書_CREST-CR-4_EN_C01-5C_0118.pdf

The new Crest manual fixes most of the grammar and usage problems found in their original (which was relabeled but otherwise unchanged by Deep 6). It also adds a section called Plan Mode which, while it still doesn't directly address the Surface Interval display, at least shows that it does have a plan mode and it directly states that "Previous dives executed on this dive computer and its residual nitrogen calculation will be taken into account."

This thread is about someone who didn't RTFM and his question was answered on page 1.
It was pointed out to me that Plan Mode is NOT in the original Excursion user manual. Rather, Plan Mode is part of the firmware upgrade to the Excursion, and the instructions for it are in the CREST CR-4 manual for the upgrade. For those who wish to see those instructions, they are attached to this message.

Attachments

• Excursion Plan Mode (from Crest Manual).pdf
    133 KB · Views: 99

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

This thread became troublesome for multiple reasons ranging from bickering to off topic derailments. A major cleanup has been done and some innocent posts may have been caught up in the sweep that mostly took it in the wayback machine to yesterday afternoon. Helpful and worthwhile information has been shared here on the original topic and additional topics related to this dive computer. Additional posts may be removed as the seeds of the rancor in this thread remain in place. Please do not continue the combative exchanges. No posting privileges have been removed. I hope to avoid the need for that. We are here to help each other and I think the original poster got the information he was looking for. Let's avoid following up on that by going into battle with one another. Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom