Deep6 Excursion - Repetitive Dives, Surface Intervals, Residual Nitrogen and Dive Planning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SpecialTest

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Is there a way this computer will tell you when your residual nitrogen is zero based off your previous dive and current surface interval? I just find it hard to know how my previous dive will affect the planning of my next dive if I were to only use the dive computer. I just can't seem to figure it out. I can see the current surface interval, but I can't see if that interval is long enough that it won't impact the next dive.

There should be a Plan Dive function that takes your current tissue load into consideration.

I'm at work now and don't have my DC in front of me, so I might be remembering this incorrectly...

But I seem to remember planning mode doesn't give you any clear indicator if your tissues are clear, or how much longer until they are. It will display a shorter bottom/dive time in the planning function, but it's not immediately apparent that it is shorter unless you know what a "full" bottom/dive time would be. When I say "full" I mean one that isn't impacted by a prior dive/nitrogen build up. Does what I'm saying make sense?

I was really hoping to find a "XX mins until tissues cleared" feature or something like that. Basically, I envision diving, having a surface interval, and being able to immediately know how long I have to wait before I can dive again without bumping into a modified dive plan because of residual nitrogen build up.

Yeah, yeah, dive tables and all that, but ain't this part of what my fancy computer is for?

I'm not sure there is a single brand or model that does what you are asking for....

I wouldn't be surprised, as I'm pretty darn inexperienced. I only have experience with a Mares Quad during my certification sessions, and my Excursion since.

I feel like I can't be the first person to be looking for something like this. The damn thing gives you a 24 hour counter from your last dive (how easy is that to remember!) for flying purposes, but can't say "Hey, your surface interval is sufficient that your previous dive no longer impacts your next dive!"... seems silly.

I don't understand why if the thing is capable of calculating your gas build up, why it wouldn't be able to calculate your off-gassing. Well, it must because the more you off-gas the less it impacts your next dive... so just signify why the off-gassing is "complete".

Wait 24h, as if you were going to fly.
What you are asking for is uncommon, and unnecessary. The Plan mode does all you need.

The wash out is really a "no fly" tool. I'd reckon to say most use the "how much time at depth do I have", as a measure to see if it is worth it to dive yet.... Not necessary to be clear, just be able to do the dive in the parameters present.

I'm not sure there is a single brand or model that does what you are asking for....
There are computers that give you desaturation time, separate from no fly. My Oceanic computers are an example. This is completely unrelated to planning repetitive dives. Just use the planning function and it will give you NDL time on your current mix at whatever depth you anticipate.

The Shearwater computers give you the tissue loading graph, this will give you an idea of desaturation.

Back
Top Bottom