Deep Stops - Suunto Cobra

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One thing I dislike about the deep stops mode on my D9 is that when DS is switched on the 3 minute safety stop timer is deactivated. I think Suunto may intend for the Deep Stops to replace the 3 minute safety stop at 5 meters. I'd do both - and for this reason I keep DS switched off.

dp

Just because your computer does not have a 3 min safety stop counter does not mean you cannot do a safety stop. My Oceanic Prodigy does not have this counter but I still did safety stops.

Adam

Divers Alert Network has been recommending half stops (Deep stops) for some time now. If they say it is good, I am going to do it. My computer doesn't have a deep stop function on it, but that doesn't prevent me from hanging on the anchor line for two minutes during my half stop.

As noted above, my interest in adding some conservatism to my dives was partially inspired by the 'ascent rate' alarms that SUUNTO was giving me.

I review all my downloaded dive logs, if SUUNTO tells me that tissue saturation is such-and-such, I accept it; if SUUNTO says my ascent rate is such-and-such, I accept it; if SUUNTO says my depth is such-and-such, I accept it.

For several years I've read the cautions about not moving your SUUNTO around too quickly. I was sure I wasn't doing that!

When 'bleeb' made the suggestion, I thought - OK, I'm going back into my logs with a calculator in hand and take another look.

Maybe I've been to naive. Anyway, assuming I've done the calculations correctly, here's what I discovered.
Thanks for the post link

Now that this thread has been resurrected, and I read through it all, I figure others will, too, so I will post something about changes in thinking in those 14 years.
  1. Post #12 said "Divers Alert Network has been recommending half stops (Deep stops) for some time now." That was not true then and it is not true now. About the time of that post, DAN America posted an expert discussion about deep stops for recreational dives, and the consensus of their experts was don't do them. (See #3 below).
  2. The deep stops movement in recreational dives was based on two studies that are not currently held in high repute. There is no widely accepted research supporting deep stops in recreational diving; on the other hand, there is no widely accepted research opposing them, either.
  3. DAN Europe does support deep stops in recreational diving, citing the two studies not held in high repute. Many people are puzzled.
  4. The deep stops movement in recreational diving was spurred by the wildly popular deep stops theory in decompression diving. That theory is no longer wildly popular, and the best research indicates that doing deep stops on decompression dives requires you to compensate with longer shallow stops. Those deep stops have no clear benefit, so there does not seem to be a reason to do them.

Now that this thread has been resurrected, and I read through it all, I figure others will, too, so I will post something about changes in thinking in those 14 years.
  1. Post #12 said "Divers Alert Network has been recommending half stops (Deep stops) for some time now." That was not true then and it is not true now. About the time of that post, DAN America posted an expert discussion about deep stops for recreational dives, and the consensus of their experts was don't do them. (See #3 below).
  2. The deep stops movement in recreational dives was based on two studies that are not currently held in high repute. There is no widely accepted research supporting deep stops in recreational diving; on the other hand, there is no widely accepted research opposing them, either.
  3. DAN Europe does support deep stops in recreational diving, citing the two studies not held in high repute. Many people are puzzled.
  4. The deep stops movement in recreational diving was spurred by the wildly popular deep stops theory in decompression diving. That theory is no longer wildly popular, and the best research indicates that doing deep stops on decompression dives requires you to compensate with longer shallow stops. Those deep stops have no clear benefit, so there does not seem to be a reason to do them.
thanks for the updated information. I appreciate it and I’m sure others coming across/reading this thread will to

Back
Top Bottom