Deep Stop Option

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Specmac

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I really wished my Pro Plus 2 had a deep stop option. Reading the latest research from Dan an additional deep saftey stops adds a significant margin of saftey versus only making the normal 20 -15ft saftey stop.

Would be real nice if Ocenanic would provide a firmware upgrade to add this as a user selectable option.

Oceanic should set an example for the dive community and lead the way with latest saftey options for their customers.

Specmac:
I really wished my Pro Plus 2 had a deep stop option. Reading the latest research from Dan an additional deep safety stops adds a significant margin of safety versus only making the normal 20 -15 ft safety stop.

Would be real nice if Oceanic would provide a firmware upgrade to add this as a user selectable option.

Oceanic should set an example for the dive community and lead the way with latest safety options for their customers.

I agree that Aeris should do the same thing. Even is there was a nominal charge for the firmware upgrade it would be worth it. Based on my previous discussion with technical support I don't think that they have the ability for user firmware upgrades with any of the Aeris or Oceanic dive computers.

I am sure That Doug Krause will correct me if I am wrong. I don't know if any of the other manufacturers provide for user firmware upgrades either. It might be a liability issue.

Specmac:
I really wished my Pro Plus 2 had a deep stop option. Reading the latest research from Dan an additional deep saftey stops adds a significant margin of saftey versus only making the normal 20 -15ft saftey stop.

Would be real nice if Ocenanic would provide a firmware upgrade to add this as a user selectable option.

Oceanic should set an example for the dive community and lead the way with latest saftey options for their customers.

Maybe I'm missing something here but your computer isn't forcing you to do anything. If you want to make a deep stop then just make it.

R..

Diver0001:
Maybe I'm missing something here but your computer isn't forcing you to do anything. If you want to make a deep stop then just make it.

R..
Thats what I'm talkin about

Once a computer does all of your thinking for you, then there is no need for you to think for yourself . . . . . . . . . until that computer craps out.

Needle, ball, air speed, magnetic compass, altimeter and VSI . . .

the K

Actually I prefer to plan my own deep stops. I believe the prevailing school of thought for recreational deep dives is to divide your max depth by two and do a minute stop there.

I do deep stops with an Oceanic computer and when doing decompression dives it sometimes adds additional decompression penalty to my time. If you are doing non-decompression dives, my experience is that doing a one minute stop half way to the surface will not affect the decompression status much.

If you have just a small deco penalty, like 5 minutes, the computer will often clear itself from doing the deep stops and comming up extra slow to around 40 feet. I often incur 3-5 minutes deco penalty and try to get it to clear below 30 feet by doing deeper stops.

The Kraken:
Once a computer does all of your thinking for you, then there is no need for you to think for yourself . . . . . . . . . until that computer craps out.
the K
With this line of thinking why would we even have computers. I think the point is that computers help with the number of tasks we are trying to manage. I'd rather be focused on manging my assent rate, bouncy and gear, than doing NDC calculations in my head. By the way I always dive with backup gauges or a computer. If the computer craps out and you have no backup, it's time to end the dive.

dumpsterDiver:
I do deep stops with an Oceanic computer and when doing decompression dives it sometimes adds additional decompression penalty to my time. If you are doing non-decompression dives, my experience is that doing a one minute stop half way to the surface will not affect the decompression status much.

If you have just a small deco penalty, like 5 minutes, the computer will often clear itself from doing the deep stops and comming up extra slow to around 40 feet. I often incur 3-5 minutes deco penalty and try to get it to clear below 30 feet by doing deeper stops.
I always plan deep stops and try to avoid exceeding NDC limits. Not everyone includes deep stops in their dive plan. I'd like to see the deep stop as an option users can turn off or on depending on if they want them in their dive plan. My point is that it would be nice if the computer could support my dive plan options and include the option for deep stops if I so choose. As dumpsterdiver pointed out, deep stops do effect your NDC limits and I'd like for the computer to fully support all my dive plan options.

The jury is still out on deep stops. We are continually evaluating new research and data. There is nothing to stop you from doing a deep stop - just don't do it in place of a deco stop or safety stop that the computer displays.

Doug Krause:
The jury is still out on deep stops.

What exactly do you mean by that, Doug? That the evidence is circumstantial, that it's hard to implement meaningful strategies on a computer or something else?

just to put some background on teh question, as far I know, outside the extreme deep guys the use of deepstops is pretty much the norm in tek diving. With that in the back of your mind it's hard to accept a statement saying the jury is out....

Just curious what you know that I (we) don't.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom