Deep outdoors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I saw two of the DO Matrix BC's in action during my AdvEAN/DecoProcedures class last weekend. One in use by the Instructor and the other by my dive buddy, CavernQT.

Now we weren't doing anything that would REALLY put these into a serious head to head test against other BC's used in tek diving (we were just in very deep open water at Blue Hole, Santa Rosa, NM). But I did ask CavernQT several questions on how she liked it.

She was pleased with the performance. The fit over her drysuit was good, and after she sorted out a small weighting problem, she enjoyed the dives and did well for the first time being in doubles.

And of course the instructor was doing his version of his fish impression and for these type of dives, I thought was very happy with his gear (but I didn't interrogate him very much about it, was busy learning the info/skills for the class).

To add additional info about DO equipment, I have seen an initial offering of gear bags and I'm very impressed with the number of models, engineering/design, and construction. The only just came out recently to the DO stores. And when you encounter them, I definitely think they are worth a serious hard look.

Whats everyone thoughts on the DO Fastex buckles?

I too say their ad and web site, and it sort of looks like OMS styled harness...

??

You guys are hilarious. If you really want more info about the DO setup then check out www.deepoutdoors.com They have a link for their sales department and will send their free literature and price list for the Matrix system as well as all of the accessory bags that go with it. I am definately going to buy one before the summer is over but don't hold your breath on my report of its good and bad points because I am sure I will not be the first on here to have it. My wife and myself took a trip to Amelia Island this weekend and dove with the M/V Sundowner. 5-6 ft seas, 25 m.p.h sustained winds and less that 10ft vis. The trip and crew was great but mother nature was not cooperating. It would have been a nice little test for the matrix.

Yoda

I ordered the literature too - just curious what this Matrix is all about...

Since it looks like (currently) I'm one of the few that has seen and handled the Matrix, I can report that the buckles that you are asking about are significantly more substantial (as in thicker walled) than the OMS IQ (which I have). And it's hard to describe without a picture, but they did design the part that inserts into the buckle so that if a bit was to crack/break, the buckle will still stay secure until unfastened.

Also, for you BP truists out there, DO is making a SS BP that will be designed stand alone with just the BP, Wing, and webbing. And according the the DO rep, the design will stand head to head with the other manufacturers.

And other things on the horizon include the other usual bits of kit including computers.

Interesting...

boomx5,
You may wamt to check out what Sport Diver Mag. Had to say about Deep Outdoors in their July issue. The review is not on their web site yet but they did have some pretty positive things to say about DO products.

Hope this helps,

Not sure how new it is, but they make a wing with dual bladders too...I saw one at Lake Rawlings a couple weeks back...it looked ok. The guy there seemed to be in love with the thing...he was pushing it on one of my dive buddies pretty hard...

Why make it an 85# wing and then internal bungies to hold it down? Do they make anything other than an 85# wing? Who the hell needs 85# of lift anyway? Is it meant to be used as a BC/liftbag?

Summary of the ad I saw:

Matrix
BC Jacket system
Bent D-rings, allows easy one-handed operation
Vertical or Horizontal modular integrated weight pockets (You Choice)
Purist Stainless Steel Backplate
Crotch strap with Scooter-ring
Padded contoured shoulder straps and backpad.
Cam-Bands capable, for single cylinder use
Extra-wide Comfo-fit waistband with Stainless Steel buckle and ABS 2" Quik-release
Reflective safety tape
Currently available with 85lb. Single or redundant bladder

Bladders
All single 85lb. Come with:
Inflator hose and sleeve
Internal, bladder compression system.
1000 denier Super tough Codura
Color: Blue (Optional colors available)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom