Deep Dixie Diver Mega Trip to Key Largo WHEN Discussion Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

philmottrek99and02

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
For what it is worth, I (along with most of yea) have a need to get wet. With that in mind, there are a lot of marvelous shore dives in the FL panhandle and AL gulf.

What I am proposing is an organized Deep Dixie Diver Trip to Key Largo. I don't mind attempting to pull this off, but I got to have some help. First things first, we got to answer the WHEN question.

Now having lived in the South for a number of seasons, Hurricane season starts around the 1st of June and lasts into November. Typically the most active part of the season is July and August. These months I think we can avoid. Your Thoughts?

Next we got to look at school schedules. Typically, if you got kids in school (that includes college as well), they are out in between Mid May and Mid August. Some kids dive and some would rather be left alone. If school/summer vacation plans are a driver for this trip speak up now. If we go outside of the summer vacation months cost and availability would be factors. Comments?

Finally, I look at how much time we got to get organized. Between now and May, I can't plan it. This Fall might be a better option. Now, I know Vortoberfest is BIG during October, but we might want to move the venue to the Keys this time. Who knows, it could be cheaper! Again thoughts and comments?

I will be covering other topics in different threads as we progress, so the discussion of who to dive with, where we stay, how to pay, meet and greets, will have to wait until we get the WHEN established.

Thanks for everything in advance. :coffee:
Howard

Howard, my dive buddy is in school also..so I am pretty much game whenever you can schedule it around school. I have been diving in Key Largo twice and the coral reefs and wrecks can't be beat!! So schedule away!!

denisegg:
Howard, my dive buddy is in school also..so I am pretty much game whenever you can schedule it around school. I have been diving in Key Largo twice and the coral reefs and wrecks can't be beat!! So schedule away!!

Is this his senior year? If so, will he not be in college this Fall? If in college does that equal out of the house?

Thanks for responding. I thought the thread was going to die!

Howard

I am not letting this group off! How about a show of hands (yeah keystrokes) of those interested. We can work out the when details later. I am wanting the ayes and neys. Neys will be turned over to the Captain of the White Pearl for torture. err I mean further convincing.

Howard

philmottrek99and02:
I am not letting this group off! How about a show of hands (yeah keystrokes) of those interested. We can work out the when details later. I am wanting the ayes and neys. Neys will be turned over to the Captain of the White Pearl for torture. err I mean further convincing.

Howard
I think its a wonderfull idea.When is the problem?

I'm gonna have to get up with Donna. If she can be my dive buddy on this trip, Andy make be "LEFT BEHIND":D

He and I are working on a trip for him this summer to Palm Beach for a week of diving. This will be in lieu of him taking a cruise on his senior trip. So he will be getting plenty of diving in.

Why not a cruise? My graduate for this year lost out on his cruise this Spring, so we may have to check one out. I think he wants a graduation treat. Whatcha think Denise?

Well, I'm in MS, so would I be considered a Deep Dixie?

None-the-less, my wife says I cannot go further south than Pensacola without her on my next trip and she's a none diver. For us that have family that don't dive, something like a cruise would be perfect! I do have a 10 month old son so I have some obstacles to jump over, but it's all good! =)

One thing that should be said is, if it's a cruise, everyone will need a passport!

Well, my idea behind the week at Palm Beach was because I have 2 timeshare condos and I can trade out weeks and go anywhere there is availability. Because I own them, I only have to pay the annual maintenance fees. We have been diving at Deerfield Beach and loved it. I have heard great things about Palm Beach. That is the reason it would be cheaper for me for him to go to Palm Beach for a week than on a cruise.

denisegg:
Well, my idea behind the week at Palm Beach was because I have 2 timeshare condos and I can trade out weeks and go anywhere there is availability. Because I own them, I only have to pay the annual maintenance fees. We have been diving at Deerfield Beach and loved it. I have heard great things about Palm Beach. That is the reason it would be cheaper for me for him to go to Palm Beach for a week than on a cruise.

aye whatcha do to stoways at ye condo?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom