Deep Diving on Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

These monthly deep air threads are just the ticket for reading while waiting for your plane!

Edit: John, great segue on the original definition of "nice"!

My first post in this thread was one of the first to clearly equate the OP's dive with the generally regarded stupid-as-$hit practice of bounce diving on air with a single tank and no effort has been made by the OP to challenge that assumption.

Actually DA, your first post, the second reply, makes no mention of "single tank" so Charlie59 would have had to "assume" that you were "assuming" that we all knew that your "assumptions" were that "single tank" was the consensus "assumption". :shakehead:

I just wrote it off as the normal third Thurdsay of the month deep air bounce diving post.

The OP may want to read some of those - especially the recent ones involving permanent paralysis and fatal injuries.

In general diving with someone who has experience on deep air dives to 225' won't insulate you from being killed along with the "experienced" diver anymore than playing Russion Roulette with an "experienced" Russian Roulette player will reduce the odds of shooting yourself in the head.

The general consensus of properly trained technical divers who make meaningful dives to those depths after proper training and using appropriate gasses and equipment configurations is that deep air bounce diving is pretty farking stupid.

Not that I have found the members post history search to be very reliable lately, looking at Charlie59's posting history;

Between April 15th, 2010 and May 15th, 2010 he made 15 posts; mostly photo and dive computer posts.

May 30th, 2010 he made a couple posts; one each on those two subjects.

Nearly 2 months later, July 24th, 2010 he made another computer post.

7 months later, Feb 26th, 2011 he made two posts in the Hawaii 'Ohana.

Now nearly 8 months later he has made 2 posts here in this thread. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't hear from Charlie59 for a few months, and I have no problem with that. :idk:

Last edited:
In essence, a recreational diver is one whose training and experience lies within the limits of no decompression diving and overhead environments. A technical diver is one who exceeds those limits while making use of appropriate training and equipment.

By that definition I've been a technical diver for some time, it's a nice spot you put me in.

Bob
--------------------------
"No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously" -Dave Barry

I just had to get in the water, so on the way home from the airport, I made a bounce dive using air in an Alu40 to the bottom of Humber Bay, Toronto, 48 degrees (cold water, eh?)....deep, all right, all the way to the bottom at 28 ft.

Don't forget, the Tech Divers might have a hard time assuming you were also solo. :shocked2:

halemanō;6092261:
Actually DA, your first post, the second reply, makes no mention of "single tank" so Charlie59 would have had to "assume" that you were "assuming" that we all knew that your "assumptions" were that "single tank" was the consensus "assumption". :shakehead:
No...I referenced it as a third thursday of the month deep air thread - which by definition must be about single tank deep air diving, cuz it's the law.

It's in the same code of federal regulations as mandatory stops at at least one Waffle House on I-95 on any trip to North Florida.

Let me be specific. I essentially accompanied someone who has routinely dived air to 200 ft on a bounce dive to 175 ft. It was a single tank dive that ended up lasting 62 minutes. I did not find it to be a wild idea. I'm sorry I dont post often enough for some.

Again, I'm surprised that so few people will admit they go below 130. I know it must happen.

A technical dive is any dive where you have to rely on your equipment to get you to the surface. You either get it or you don't...

Glad to see the history of my posts summarized. I've been busy learning to juggle chainsaws. I'm pretty good and my new nickname is lefty.

A technical dive is any dive where you have to rely on your equipment to get you to the surface. You either get it or you don't...

Unfortunately, by that definition the majority of divers trained in the last 30 years qualify as technical divers — even when they don’t go deeper than 50'.

Back
Top Bottom