Deep Diving on Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So you go down on a tank that is not full, GOT IT.

I myself take a full tank and check before and once ready to plunge in water, Now having a full tank gives me plenty of gas after my dive, I always surface with 1000 psi.

Now I see how your team diving is done.

Q1. Aluminum 80s are to be filled to ~3000psi. If your gauge reads 2700psi before the dive, do you stop everything and go back to the dive shop for a fill?

Q2. If you were diving with someone who will be using an aluminum 80 (which is currently filled to 3000psi) and you are diving with an HP100, will you insist that your HP100 be filled completely (3440psi) or will you be willing to dive with your buddy with that HP100 not completely filled?

Q3. At what pressure do you need to begin your ascent such that you end the dive with 1000psi?

Its no deal breaker that you plan your dive with gas supply, all my dives are deep dives and having my tank full or over full is a safe way to dive Deep Air. Of course you can finish your tank of air off if you want and there is plenty of divers that do it.

But see TS&M was in a Team and they had a plan for there dive, and she was already diving along and checked and seen she could not do the dive as planned. Now she had to do a shallower dive and I just do not understand how in a team does this happen. I would say that LauraJ could coach you and your team and maybe guy could come down and help on this skill.

Every one has there way of diving and we can pick apart anyone just like I did. If you do not Dive Deep Air all the time what makes you think your way is the right way. Going off of dive classes is just what they came up with.

Deep Air is like charlie describes, divers are going deeper and see's it happening and wanting to know how many or how often. the answer is Divers are Deep Air Diving on a single tank every single day all year long, year after year. and there are not that many accidents compared to new divers, training dives. So every type of diving is fatal and the more people the more accidents.

So Deep Air will Continue and with more knowledge available it can save lives.

A 130 at 3000 psi is a bit more than 110 cubic feet of gas. VDGM doesn't think that's adequate for a 60-foot dive.

A few weeks back ... when that young fellow in Louisiana killed himself dropping to 225 feet on an AL80 with 69 cubic feet of gas in it, VDGM claimed it was "plenty of gas" for the dive.

The difference? The latter was doing a deep air bounce dive ... like he does ... so it must have been OK ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

But see TS&M was in a Team and they had a plan for there dive, and she was already diving along and checked and seen she could not do the dive as planned. Now she had to do a shallower dive and I just do not understand how in a team does this happen. I would say that LauraJ could coach you and your team and maybe guy could come down and help on this skill.

You know ... I'm gonna call you out here. You're a liar. Worse, you're a malicious liar.

I've known Lynne since she was a brand new diver. I've done literally hundreds of dives with her. And I've never ... not once ... ever ... known her to get in the water without knowing exactly how much gas she had, how much she was going to need, and how deep she was able to take it. I can honestly say I've never known anyone more consciencious about gas planning than Lynne. She's dived with dozens ... if not hundreds ... of people from ScubaBoard, and I bet you not one of them can ever recall a time when Lynne just got in the water without checking her gas.

You make stuff up ... just like you did when you accused her of being responsible for the death of a friend, despite the fact that she'd never gone diving with him.

Every time I think you've just posted the stupidest thing I've ever read on ScubaBoard, you raise the bar ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Twenty four hours ago when NWGD and Akimbo were bickering, I felt like a very small fish in a big pond and sat back to learn from the mental dumping. Now this thread has degraded into mindless blabber.

Kill this thread, kill it with fire!

adobo I solo, today there was another diver but he solo also, I never run into this problem.

Questions 1 and 3 are still applicable.

And question 2 is meant merely to illustrate that diving a "full" tank is not a meaningful statement. If some divers are diving with HP130, HP100 or an LP-95 (or even an LP-85) tanks that are not full, they could easily still be diving with far more gas than a diver diving with a "full" aluminum 80.

It can be done and having more air is better option of course, just like TS&M dive last night they planned a dive to there air. same thing in planning what tank you have.
For instance I filled a 95 this morning for the dive so I had plenty of air.

Working up to Deeper Deep Air Dives is how any diver can estimate how much CF they need personally for the dive, yet the al80 is usually the choice on hand for most attempting these dives.

No, working up to deep air dives is not how you estimate how much cf you need for the dive.
Knowing how much your sac is and doing the math is how you estimate how many cf of gas you need and that math is a plain question of quite reliable physics..

Back
Top Bottom