Deep Diving 108 feet w/ a single AL 80 (Air.) No redundancy.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was probably to optimistic about EU as it has to many countries with different rules and how to do things. I'm talking about Adriatic Sea, 15l is the standard here.
I never dive with anything less than 15 liters steel (232 bars), equipped with double valve so I can mount my two independent regs. I simply do not feel comfortable having less air, or relying on just one valve and one first stage with an octopus,
When I started diving, the standard was a 10+10 liters twin set at 200 bar, with a reserve system.

Do speak for yourself. A dive to 33m I end up doing at least a 75 minute dive time and still have 50 bar when I surface. This was only a 93 minute dive as not pushing NDL due to this being about the 14th dive in 5 days.
I'm not talking about dive time, but bottom time. From your diving profile you were only 7 minutes at 30 meters. If you are doing wreck dive in blue you will not spend 1h between 10-15 meters.

I'm not talking about dive time, but bottom time. From your diving profile you were only 7 minutes at 30 meters. If you are doing wreck dive in blue you will not spend 1h between 10-15 meters.

I've done plenty of wreck diving at depth doing into DECO on planned deco dives on air. Started doing the open ocean wreck diving in Brunei in 1986 on a wreck that had munitions on it sunk by the Japanese in WW2. Those were all air planned deco dives on 120 steel with 230 bar and multiple tanks placed at the wreck and on the anchor line for those most boring of deco stops. Unless some sharks investigated you it was rather dull. You do spend a long time at 15m to 5m on deco stops off gassing though.

Nowadays just wean yourself to Nitrox 26% and it's fine even on an AL 80 for some longer time to NDL and maybe a shorter dive time. Or sling an extra tank and do deco dives.

Funny you say I was only at 30m when the dive log clearly shows 34m and yes not pushing the NDL as I wanted a longer dive time along a reef wall. It was a fun dive I had for sure and that's what diving should be, fun.

I sac of 7.8l is not average, nor is it realistic in am emergency.
Of course it is possible to dive to 30m. I think the question, discussed in this thread, is more: is it a good idea. As i said before. On warm water i think it is ok. But it depends on a lot of faktors. Current, dive buddys, experience...

Two of my regular dive buddies are similar on air to myself one maybe 10l/min. Some of the Asian DM's are even better on air. Yeah I dive in warm waters as it's nice and easy. We dive into currents and do some nice fast drift dives at times. I'm not too experienced. Only 35 years of diving and thousands of dives. There are people out there who have been diving far longer. Of course having more air is always a good thing. Maybe we should all sling an extra AL 80 for any dive.

Is diving to 30m on an AL80 insane as one person wrote asked? No. It's normal and safe.

Only small girls use 12l tanks other have 15l or 18l.
I'm diving 10L tanks. What does that make me?

More seriously, this is one of the less constructive posts I've read in this thread. Firstly, are you talking about 200 bar, 232 bar or 300 bar tanks? Without that info, your opinion about tank size has very little bearing with capacity. Secondly, perhaps the most popular single tank around here is the 12x232. Even in cold water and drysuit gas consumption rates, that tank usually holds enough gas to last you into deco, with a decent reserve, at least from 25-ish to 30-40m.

Secondly, pulling the "macho man" card trying to belittle those who find that other gear than the type you prefer fits them best can easily be interpreted as being sexually insecure. If you were of middle school or high school age, you could get a pass, but if you've graduated high school I strongly recommend using adult arguments.

Most people in germany dive 10l or 12l. Which is on average a 80cft
That really depends on fill pressure, no? My 10x300 tanks hold closer to 100 than 80 of those cubic feet. As does the ubiquitous 12x232.

Guide in Truk was down at 190+' on an AL80 of air with a second slung. Does it every day, over 10,000 dives.

Must have been Diving the SanFrancisco, I also did this dive many times on an 80, ~6 min bottom time if I remember, however we did hang tanks just in case. All throughout the 80’s we routinely dove to 130 on air without backup. We were using Edge computers at the time.

When I started diving, the standard was a 10+10 liters twin set at 200 bar, with a reserve system.
Beautiful twinset, I still use my Poseidon twin 10,s they have a reserve bar in the centre of the manifold.

Le
Even if a diver comes and is clearly even too tired I won't dive with them. PS the dive centers I go with you need a zero breath test for alcohol. So even you might claim you could legally drive you would not be allowed on the dive. You went to a drink party a few hours before and had less than 4 hours sleep says it all really. You won't be risking my life only your own so there is that :)

An experienced diver just says to themselves nup not a good idea to go diving and doesn't go. In my humble opinion.
You misunderstand me. It was not wise. What I learnt from this experience is don’t drink 24 hours (general advice is 8 hours) before a dive because my body doesn’t like it. Even if the dive is ok, breathing that much is not a good thing. However 0 breath test is a non-sens. If you drink one glass of wine, it takes 24 hours to have zero breath. Some prohibitionists would surely like it but it is a bit over the top.

Hello. I was thinking back over the years. I worked for a Dive shop years ago as a Divemaster.
We did our deep dives on the Chester Poling off Gloucester, Mass. for the P.A.D.I. Advanced Open Water Course.
At high tide the the wreck sits in 108fsw. It always amazed me that people would do this dive "Normally." on single aluminum 80's without any type of redundancy.
I always thought it was insane???? Divers would come back on board with extremely low pressure readings on their gauges. Too me, it left no room for error, or any type of contingency whatsoever. At that time, I was diving with an Aluminum 100 cubic 3300 P.S.I. (Air.) with a 30 cubic pony bottle.(Air.)
20 years ago the shop did not have "Nitrox." (This is not an enriched air scenario.)
Staying within N.D.L.......I don't care how long you've been diving, or if, your'e the best breather on the planet your max bottom time is approximately 18 to 20 minutes, at 100fsw, not including the 3 min Safety stop.
So, I was curious? The question is: Would you personally make this dive, staying within N.D.L. on air........No redundancy?
Cheers.

;;;;;;;;;All REC divers know is al80's anything else is seen as tech stuff. training is crap and they are told that you can go to 130 right out of OW. Where do they get such ideas. The industry,,,,,,,, including the social media associated with it.

Back
Top Bottom