Deep Diver manual or elearning?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe the eLearning expires after a while. The book is forever.

Unless things have changed this year, PADI elearning doesn't expire. You also get the benefit of free content updates (if any) in the future.

You only have 12 months to take a PADI course, so if you don't complete the cert in that timeframe, your instructor will have to call PADI and reactivate it.

Taking my deep diver course soon. The instructor said we could pick up the manual which is about $45 plus the PIC card or do the E learning. I see some crew packs with a DVD and manual, does the E-learning have the same amount of video in it as the DVD? Looking at which one to buy? Is there a lot of useful info on the deep diver manual? I also saw some old threads that the manual is online for free. Wondering if anyone knows if I could use that instead.

I've not taught a padi deep course where the student did elearning, but FWIW, in open water, the elearning content is better than the book IMO. Students show up to class with better knowledge than doing the book work.

Personally, I loathe the way PADI books are organized and the information presented. If an instructor gave me the choice, I'd take elearning.

Also, your instructor has access to the deep course on PADI.com - you could get him/her to log in and show you the course. That might give you a better idea of which way to go.

Unless things have changed this year, PADI elearning doesn't expire. You also get the benefit of free content updates (if any) in the future.
I'm glad PADI followed the policies of all the other agencies as there is no cost to continuing to provide access. I don't understand why they didn't do that initially.

It certainly would not hurt to take Deep and then take Tec40.

Just the pocket book. I don't see much value in deep courses other than to allow a diver to go on deeper dives from the dive ops that require it.

I do believe that Tec40 is a good course for recreational divers to take even if they have no interest in technical diving due to the mindset taught.

I agree that the PADI Tec40 is much better than the Deep Diver course if the student has the pre-requisites. PADI Tec40 does allow a more "recreational" configuration to be used. Things to consider...Tec40 does not currently have an eLearning curriculum and the student materials required include the full Tec Deep manual (in PDF Form) which has a higher cost than the Deep Diver crew pack.

Umm, check the PADI website?
Checked.... it's still as crap as it's always been.

All marketing blather and no useful info such as the syllabus and real detail.

There's a massive difference between the deep 'speciality' and the Tec40 which is a full 'course' not a short speciality. Very different customers. The deep speciality for pure recreational divers extending their diving; the Tec40 for those wanting to sort their skills and venture into the diving world beyond recreational limits.

Deep speciality is a requirement for some dives too -- think there would be "dive police" preventing some people doing certain dives without that ticket.

Checked.... it's still as crap as it's always been.

All marketing blather and no useful info such as the syllabus and real detail.

I found it, but SDI/ILTDI’s website makes a hell of a lot more sense.

Having just finished the PADI deep specialty, ill share my thoughts.
The theory portion didn't add anything beyond what open water and advanced open water provided, if you have those two books than the deep diver book will just be redundant.
The practical was well worth the experience in my case, We went to recreational limits in both depth and NDL under close supervision, we were shown what our computers would do when reaching NDL and how to ascend to "ride" the NDL to shallower depths. These dives were carried out in the St Lawrence River under less than optimal conditions.
We were also exposed to carrying pony bottles and switching to them.
The practical portion left me feeling confidant in my abilities, which is good because I was a little underwhelmed by the theory provided.

Having just finished the PADI deep specialty, ill share my thoughts.
The theory portion didn't add anything beyond what open water and advanced open water provided, if you have those two books than the deep diver book will just be redundant.
The practical was well worth the experience in my case, We went to recreational limits in both depth and NDL under close supervision, we were shown what our computers would do when reaching NDL and how to ascend to "ride" the NDL to shallower depths. These dives were carried out in the St Lawrence River under less than optimal conditions.
We were also exposed to carrying pony bottles and switching to them.
The practical portion left me feeling confidant in my abilities, which is good because I was a little underwhelmed by the theory provided.
I'm glad you found the practical portion beneficial.

One of the reasons that I recommend Tec40 is the practical aspect of having some experience of going slightly into deco, so that students will know how to handle what to do if they mistakenly exceed NDL while on a recreational dive. I hope you consider taking Tec40 next.

Back
Top Bottom