Deep Diver manual or elearning?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@lermontov

AN/DP just requires AOW. Oddly, Helitrox requires AOW with deep speciality (or Intro to Tech or equivalent).

TDI Helitrox Diver - SDI | TDI | ERDI | PFI

Could be that ANDP+Helitrox is 45m rated (or was when I did it) whereas ANDP is just 40m.

The main thing they're looking for is the core skills to do the switches, shutdowns, stage cylinder switches, holding stops, etc.

TDI website:
Are you finding your no- decompression limits (NDLs) a limiting factor to dives? Do you have to ascend sooner than you would like? As sport divers, planned decompression is not something that we do or have been taught.The TDI Decompression Procedures Course prepares you for planned staged decompression diving. With a maximum operating depth of 45 metres/150 feet, this course is your first step beyond the normal sport diving limits. The TDI Decompression Procedures Course combined with the TDI Advanced Nitrox course form the foundation of all other technical courses. After these two courses and some additional experience, the stage has been set for you to move onto additional technical levels.
Seems it's changed since I did the course a few years ago. I thought ANDP was to 40m/120' only.

Anyway, an excellent course that really sets you up for decompression diving with a single decompression stage.

Why would a deco course only go to recreational depths? Makes no sense.

40m is 130ft.

40m is 130ft.
Recreational diving's about not having a ceiling, be that hard or soft. For open water this means no decompression (ignore a 'safety stop').

A lot of my decompression diving is in the 30m/100' to 40m/130' range. An hour or more on the bottom and 30 or so mins decompressing.

As we all know, going deeper means more decompression and greater gas usage and quickly requires two decompression cylinders, not only to optimise the decompression but as a safety fallback should one fail.

Quick check with MultiDeco for 30 mins at 45m/150' with only 21/35 backgas (assuming stage failed) is a 2h20 dive — pretty much emptying a twinset with a moderate SAC of 15 litres/min. i.e. no deep long dives on a single deco stage. Repeating this for 40m/130' would give you 45 mins max on 28% (assuming failed deco stage)

40m is 130ft.
I assume the stipulation is for maximum depth not minimum -if you can achieve all the training in 35m of water then it still counts as long as you cover the required skills -I did my deco training in 32m of water because the bottom was only 36m

40m is 130ft.
What's the maximum no deco limit for 100 ft? 18 minutes or so depending on the model. What if the diver wants to spend 30? Makes perfect sense to me. Depth is only one component of a deco class. Time, skills, knowledge, and objective together count for more than depth. Too many people mistakenly think deco is about going deep. Its not. Its about safety at depth. I've done dives requiring 30 minutes of deco and max depth was 110 ft.

I ended up buying the e-learning, it was quiet disappointing, they did not incorporate any of the videos like the crew pack dvd has. Even the drysuit e-learning had a bunch of older videos in it. It was pretty repetitive from the AOW diver and rescue diver content. There was one of two things I did learn from it...at this point i cant recall what they were lol!

All of my local dive shops have discontinued selling padi books and they have to special order them. I dont know if the markup for e-learning is more and thats why they are pushing it. One guy at the dive shop said the paper manual was not valid and I had to buy the elearning. When I told him my instructor said either the elearning or book knowledge review was acceptable he started to back peddle

Must.buy.elernin.for.five.times.the.price

They’re taking the piss.

I ended up buying the e-learning, it was quiet disappointing, they did not incorporate any of the videos like the crew pack dvd has. Even the drysuit e-learning had a bunch of older videos in it. It was pretty repetitive from the AOW diver and rescue diver content. There was one of two things I did learn from it...at this point i cant recall what they were lol!

All of my local dive shops have discontinued selling padi books and they have to special order them. I dont know if the markup for e-learning is more and thats why they are pushing it. One guy at the dive shop said the paper manual was not valid and I had to buy the elearning. When I told him my instructor said either the elearning or book knowledge review was acceptable he started to back peddle
Paper manual not valid? Did you ask what else he's willing to lie to you about. I still gave my students the manual even if they did the e learning. And a notebook so they had room to fill in the gaps in the manual. As well as a copy of my second book which went way beyond the manual. Especially when it came to gas planning because I have tables in there for several different main and deco cylinders where psi is converted to cu ft.
The manual is also good when you don't have access to the electronic version.

Back
Top Bottom