Deep Diver manual or elearning?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i'm also interested in deep dive cert, but now this has me interested in tech 40 instead...any suggestions on how to find a shop with a qualified instructor in your local area? Does PADI by chance have like a registry of their instructors? anyone know?

Umm, check the PADI website?

Deep Dive Manual you can keep for reference. Shop around you may find it for less $$

i'm also interested in deep dive cert, but now this has me interested in tech 40 instead...any suggestions on how to find a shop with a qualified instructor in your local area? Does PADI by chance have like a registry of their instructors? anyone know?

Deep specialty might be required before doing any PADI “tec” stuff.

Deep specialty might be required before doing any PADI “tec” stuff.
nah, according to the website you need:

To enroll in the Tec 40 course, you must be:

Deep really depends on the instructor. No matter the agency. Find an instructor who also teaches tech classes and will treat the deep course like a tech course. I made the decision when I turned 61 to stop teaching deep classes and tech that requires dives in excess of 100ft. For a number of reasons. I'll still do dives to 180-200, just not with students in tow.
I always used tech materials as supplements to the rec deep manual because it frankly doesn't go into the risks and cover emergency procedures thoroughly enough. In terms of gas management, emergency deco procedures, and a few other skill/knowledge areas we gain from experience over the years of doing deeper dives.
I have no issue with someone doing the on-line stuff, but they are still getting the printed materials and no reduction in classroom time.
How much is the on-line portion and how much time are they going to spend/not spend going over the areas that are crucial to deeper diving in the classroom? I like that some agencies state that on-line learning should not replace face to face time but supplement it.
The problem is not all instructors feel that way. Some may choose to replace classroom time with it and that may end up with the student being shortchanged. The on-line learning is somewhat generic and can't replace that local knowledge and experience.
Someone who took most of their classes and did most of their dives in warm clear water, would be in for a very rude awakening if they suddenly signed up for a class where they are now in 40 degree water with low vis and much less room for error. This is where the on-line stuff falls short in some cases when it's used to replace classroom time.

Deep really depends on the instructor. No matter the agency. Find an instructor who also teaches tech classes and will treat the deep course like a tech course. I made the decision when I turned 61 to stop teaching deep classes and tech that requires dives in excess of 100ft. For a number of reasons. I'll still do dives to 180-200, just not with students in tow.
I always used tech materials as supplements to the rec deep manual because it frankly doesn't go into the risks and cover emergency procedures thoroughly enough. In terms of gas management, emergency deco procedures, and a few other skill/knowledge areas we gain from experience over the years of doing deeper dives.
I have no issue with someone doing the on-line stuff, but they are still getting the printed materials and no reduction in classroom time.
How much is the on-line portion and how much time are they going to spend/not spend going over the areas that are crucial to deeper diving in the classroom? I like that some agencies state that on-line learning should not replace face to face time but supplement it.
The problem is not all instructors feel that way. Some may choose to replace classroom time with it and that may end up with the student being shortchanged. The on-line learning is somewhat generic and can't replace that local knowledge and experience.
Someone who took most of their classes and did most of their dives in warm clear water, would be in for a very rude awakening if they suddenly signed up for a class where they are now in 40 degree water with low vis and much less room for error. This is where the on-line stuff falls short in some cases when it's used to replace classroom time.
You cannot require in a PADI deep course for a student to be proficient at shooting a bag. Tec40 is a much better course than deep.

To the OP's original question. E-learning is great, but after a while, you cannot access it anymore. I ended up buying the books of several courses that I took on e-learning so I would have a reference at hand. I got them on Ebay. It certainly would not hurt to take Deep and then take Tec40. The most important consideration, which I think the entire ScubaBoard would agree on, is to find a great instructor, one that comes highly recommended, one that you "gel" with. One that loves teaching you, not massaging his own ego. I am blessed with an awesome one in San Antonio. Best of luck, and let us know what you do and what you learned!

Deep Diving specialty course with eLearning and a book (PDF is OK) are best options. Forget about the Tec course for now. Find a good instructor who is associated with a great agency and take the deep diving specialty course.

FYI, the eLearning program offered by NAUI is truly second to none. I have done eLearning courses with several other agencies (including the ones that tote their being the first in eLearning) but I always find that the NAUI program is best and most thorough indeed. NAUI's eLearning includes a PDF version of the textbook and lifetime access to eLearning. Most other agencies eLearning access is time limited.

Back
Top Bottom