deep air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whenever I teach "Deep Air" (which I don't actually teach as a course, per se) it is more a course in Deeper Diving. Using air (at whatever depth you see as deep) is just one tool in the box, not always the best, not always what you'd like, but then we've all used a pair of pliers when a deep-well socket with a universal and a ratchet would have worked better, no?

good analogy
it would be a better one if using the pliers could kill you.
:D

That's what they don't understand, you can't just whistle up a bottle of mix in a lot of places.
Quite right.

I can honestly say that I don't have any problem with other peoples decision to dive deep air. It does not affect me. I can understand people deciding to use air for cost or logistic reasons. Hell, I even kinda understand if that's how people get their kicks.

I understand that. I choose not to dive in such places or to pay the extra to get mix, but I have no problem that others chose differently.

If a person choses to dive deep air, than learning to manage narcosis makes sense. However, diving deep air recreationally for the sole purpose of learning narcosis management seems backwards to me. I see a very few number of remotely valid reasons to dive deep air. Learning narcosis management for the sake of it isn't one.

good analogy
it would be a better one if using the pliers could kill you.
:D
Sometimes it can.

Your making the classic mistake, the danger does not come from diving air, it comes from diving. The media that you chose to breathe adds some risks and reduces others.

Sometimes it can.

Your making the classic mistake, the danger does not come from diving air, it comes from diving. The media that you chose to breathe adds some risks and reduces others.
Same logic could be applied to driving. Your beverage of choice adds some risks and reduces others.

(No deep air thread would be complete without a drinking and driving reference).

Sometimes it can.

The incident pit is a slippery slope, so why put a foot on the banana peel if you don't have to?

Because you have to, you do so the minute you get your feet wet.

I don't know what you're shaking your head at, survival is always a matter of risk management and risk mitigation. You may get the choice to dive or not to dive, ultimately so do I, but the question for me, more often than not, is how to minimize risks within a given universe of operational constraints. For example, I could have easily done everything that the WKPP did with almost no risk to anyone, and in a much shorter time, but the budget would have been astronomical. Does that take away from their accomplishments? I think not.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom