deep air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

East West

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have not taken any technical classes only AOL and Nitrox 1. They had no technical training on the west coast in the 90's I have not dove but a few times in the past eight years . I just got regeared to start again.I logged about 800 dives in the 90's and was doing air deco 150 ft. 40 min bottom solo and sometimes with a friend off my boat. I would like to take classes with air to at least to 180 ft. and not be pushed into tri mix at 130 FT .My feeling if I cannot handle air at 200 ft. I have no business going tri mix

I have not taken any technical classes only AOL and Nitrox 1. They had no technical training on the west coast in the 90's I have not dove but a few times in the past eight years . I just got regeared to start again.I logged about 800 dives in the 90's and was doing air deco 150 ft. 40 min bottom solo and sometimes with a friend off my boat. I would like to take classes with air to at least to 180 ft. and not be pushed into tri mix at 130 FT .My feeling if I cannot handle air at 200 ft. I have no business going tri mix

I would say that if you already have AOL training you are ready to do solo 200fsw deco dives on air.

Tri mix is way overated.

I totally agree trimix and surface support are for sissys. Real men dive deep air solo with AL80's.

As I observed in the past:
I'm not saying that I'm never narced, what I'm saying is that it is a matter of degree. It varies from day to day and with conditions and I've thumbed dives because they just didn't feel right. It's a cost benefit trade off and, at least for me, it sometimes comes down to a economic decision that compares the cost of mix with the cost of scrubbing the dive for another day. At a highly remote site the costs are waaaaaay more than at your LDS, since you'll have to bring pre-mix or everything you need to home-brew, One of the joys of rebreathers is that this issue goes away.

My point is that there are no absolutes. Diving air to 100 feet, or 130 or 150 or even 190 is not automatically the action of a staggering slob out in search of the wah-wahs.

Last edited:
TDI Extended Range course certifies you up till 55msw (180 fsw) using air and different nitrox/oxygen deco stages.

Thread Moved from SDI/TDI/ERDI forum since it does not seem to contain a question or request aimed at our agencies.

Last edited:
I logged about 800 dives in the 90's and was doing air deco 150 ft. 40 min bottom solo and sometimes with a friend off my boat. I would like to take classes with air to at least to 180 ft. and not be pushed into tri mix at 130 FT .My feeling if I cannot handle air at 200 ft. I have no business going tri mix

Diving should always be responsible regardless of mixture. Diving "deep air" is like climbing Mount Everest without oxygen. It's much more difficult than resorting to trimix or heliox. It's doable, but you have to be attune to how you are feeling at that particular time and be willing to thumb the dive if need be. Your plan must be more precise and you have to be committed to the plan. Creative decision making at depth should be avoided where possible.

Historically divers have built-up their depth over a period of time. One analogy (although not to be taken in a scientific sense) may be made in looking at how alcohol affects an alcoholic. If a non-drinker consumed a similar quantity they would likely die from alcohol poisoning. The alcoholic can tolerate such high amounts by building-up a tolerance.

I'm not saying that a diver who dives progressively deeper on air is immune from the effects of narcosis, to the contrary. However with experience, s/he is more acutely able to deal with the results. One such area is that they become more aware of how narcosis will affect them and act accordingly. Problem solving accuracy and reaction time will be reduced, but these risks may be manageable if the inherent risks are accepted.

There is quite a bit of difference between deep air at 150' and 200'. Obviously the best way to do this, is under the guidance of an Instructor with deep air experience. It's great to hear that you have recognized this. Safety divers on any dive at or over 200' are a prudent precaution when using deep air.

Your attitude about deep air and trimix is an old school one. It was how I was taught as well. Times sure have changed many things. Be safe.

I like FiOs, my self.

AOL was so 1996.

I would like to take classes with air to at least to 180 ft. and not be pushed into tri mix at 130 FT

If you're looking at the 180-foot range, what relevance does a 130 foot gas selection have to this question?

Look into "extended range" courses. I think the TDI class covers just about what you are describing.

http://www.tdisdi.com/index.php?did=80&site=2

Why do you feel that way?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom