Deep air training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't believe driving schools take kids out drunk a few times to "reach them on the hazards" of driving drunk.

It is being done but not in a literal sense. There is a car out there that has been modified for a reduced reaction in steering, braking, and the windshield is distorted to show what driving drunk is like. The kids are then turned loose on a closed course.

Part of the reason for my question was I just finished Deep Descent. I enjoyed the history in the book. I understand the view points here and I understand a little better that in some trimix classes the hazards of deep air are taught.

Tom

Jim
Thanks for clarifying my uneducated opinion. I don't know anything about cave diving, so my comparison was unfounded. Now Hawaiian lava tubes that’s a different story.

It would be interesting to note the number of deep air divers who are trained to the level of cave divers and see how many of them have died.

Yes a lot of divers go deep and die but what was their level of training.
Just last month I ran across one at 325ft AOW diver went on a one-way dive. Reason lack of training for the diving he was doing.

So it would be interesting to do a direct comparison keeping the level of training the same.

Your quote...
"There is no way to mitigate the risks of deep air (o2 hit or narcosis) without CHANGING the mix. A person cannot be trained to handle an O2 hit. A person cannot be trained to handle debilitating narcosis"

I agree hole heartedly with this statement. But no training agency is teaching deep air beyond 218 ft so with the 1.6ata rule nobody is coming close. I believe 180 is the deepest training available. This sort of rules out the O2 hit theoretically
Once narcosis becomes a problem then the training must stop until the diver is ready to continue.
I have seen divers whacked out at 100ft on air and seen divers who are just fine at 180 on air it is diver specific...well even that is variable.

Don't get me wrong I am all for Trimix. I am just taking the air side of the debate this time. I DO NOT CONDONE DEEP AIR DIVING WHEN TRIMIX IS AVAILABLE EVEN AT THE HIGH COST OF He

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom